Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this site while googlying for old bike photos, these are not mine, wish i could take photos as well as this chap.

(LINK DELETED)

You can d/l a larger version of the pic on the right of the page, great desktop photos.

Anyone else got any good links to bike pics?.

·
Super Moderator
12,577 Posts
Photo layouts like that one are what got cameras banned from Barber's old museum location. I learned that the hard way the first time I visited - NO CAMERAS!

Since they moved to the new building, they eased up, but they have posted a notice not to publish layouts without permission.

I've greatly enjoyed visiting the museum several times, and even got to race on the track last year (might get to do so again in October).

I'd REALLY HATE to see the camera priviliges pulled because some idiot took advantage like that...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I didn't see the link before it was deleted, so can't say who owns the link, or how they were posted. As one who's at the Barber Museum almost every week -- sometimes 2 or 3 times/week -- and one who serves as a volunteer there often (since 1996), I may be able to shed a few more rays of sunlight on the topic.

The old museum, when it was located in the old warehouse near downtown Birmingham, had a huge sign just inside the door, stating "NO CAMERAS ALLOWED". We even (occasionally) confiscated camera phones if we saw them being used. (Of course, they were always returned upon exiting the museum). When Mr B opened up his new museum, on the outskirts of Birmingham, near Leeds, AL (Exit 140 on I-20), he relaxed the "NO CAMERAS" rule to allow people to take pictures with handheld cameras for their own, non-commercial use and enjoyment. If you forget your camera, they even sell disposable cameras in the Museum gift shop. Folks wanting to use a tripod or take a photo essay for commercial use must apply in advance for permission. I believe the forms are available from the Museum Librarian or from the Museum Director. In any case, commercial use that hasn't been cleared in advance is strictly prohibited, and the Museum will do it's part to prevent non-authorized commercial displays.

One day I asked Mr B why the change in philosophy (from "NO PICTURES" to "PICTURES FOR PERSONAL USE") and I loved the answer I got back -- "In the old museum you couldn't take a good picture. In the new museum you can't take a bad picture." How true those words are! The old museum was dark and crowded, and you couldn't get good lighting or the proper angle to take pictures. The new museum is light and airy, and there is room to walk around most of the bikes to get that perfect picture. Just don't take a picture for sale on the internet, or to put on a Calendar, without getting permission first!

And if you've never been to Barber's Motorsports Park and Vintage Motorsports Museum, you're missing out on one of the greatest gifts to the motorhead public you'll ever see! Check out Barber's official website @ www.barbermuseum.org or the track website at www.barbermotorsports.com.

The next major event is the Barber Vintage Festival, October 17-19, 2008. More info on the websites above. Hope to see some of you @ Barber's in October.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts