Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Here's info on the clutch cable from a post on the previous page:

"Also, bear in mind that any sort of risers will need a replacement clutch cable. Thanks to this lovely thread about T100 risers, the America LT cable is a direct fit. ... On speaking to a Triumph rep, I was informed that the Street Scrambler cable is 1120mm, the America LT cable is 1303.5mm and if you really need more length for some reason, the Triumph Bobber high bars cable is 1600mm."

·
Registered
204 Posts
And as for finding the "perfect" set of handlebars, I have a box of a dozen or more different bars that I have tried on different bikes and found that they weren't perfect. :rolleyes:

jb

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes, thanks for the correction.

The more I thought about it, the least expensive option is just some 30 mm riser spacers, as I believe someone previously posted.

If I could find the "perfect" set of handlebars......:)...I might do it differently.

But that would involve cutting the notches and drilling holes in the perfect bars. Then getting a custom clutch cable and brake line, and perhaps some splicing of electrical wires.

Or Triumph has a high bar handlebar kit for the Bobber that might be modified.....

Although I have the time and tools (I'm retired), the SScrambler bar conversion and modifications took about all the mechanical skills I want to deal with at this time.

jb
I hear you on the perfect handlebars. I guess that was kind of my original goal. But I‘m thinking the perfect bars search might be a little more work and money than I’m willing to do at this point. It’ll just be there in my dream version, on the shelf.

30mm riser spacers to be used with street scrambler bars, or on current street twin bars?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I hear you on the perfect handlebars. I guess that was kind of my original goal. But I‘m thinking the perfect bars search might be a little more work and money than I’m willing to do at this point. It’ll just be there in my dream version, on the shelf.

30mm riser spacers to be used with street scrambler bars, or on current street twin bars?
I’d be willing to purchase the street scrambler bars and go that route (instead of rox risers) if it makes enough difference in handling. In your experience, did the street scrambler bars provide handling that you think was better than using rox risers with your stock street twin bars?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I was thinking the 30mm riser spacers with the stock bars. But probably won't be enough to make much difference.

I can't compare the handling of the Rox risers to the SScramber bars since I didn't use the Rox Risers. I would think it would be similar if the rise and pullback were equal.

The reason I chose the SSrambler bars over the Rox risers was mainly aesthetics. IMO, the SScrambler bars look more like it could have come from the factory than an add-on.

jb

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was thinking the 30mm riser spacers with the stock bars. But probably won't be enough to make much difference.

I can't compare the handling of the Rox risers to the SScramber bars since I didn't use the Rox Risers. I would think it would be similar if the rise and pullback were equal.

The reason I chose the SSrambler bars over the Rox risers was mainly aesthetics. IMO, the SScrambler bars look more like it could have come from the factory than an add-on.

jb
I was thinking the same thing about the 30 mm riser spacers.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
only rode my new to me 18 T120 3 times, about a hundred miles due to weather. got some spacers for now but in the future i would prolly want wider bars + when things get normal i will visit the dealers + check out the bars on other models, look before you leap as changes are $$$$ + better done once!

·
Registered
75 Posts
And as for finding the "perfect" set of handlebars, I have a box of a dozen or more different bars that I have tried on different bikes and found that they weren't perfect. :rolleyes:

jb
I guess my next question is, what differences in handling or comfort did you appreciate coming from your stock ST bars to the S. Scrambler ones?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I guess my next question is, what differences in handling or comfort did you appreciate coming from your stock ST bars to the S. Scrambler ones?
I was satisfied with the handling of the Street Twin.

The riding position is what bothered me...had to lean forward and it put too much weight on my wrists, and caused me to have a sore neck.

I needed a more upright position. The SScrambler bars cured the problem for me. Can't say what it will do for anyone else.
jb

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was satisfied with the handling of the Street Twin.

The riding position is what bothered me...had to lean forward and it put too much weight on my wrists, and caused me to have a sore neck.

I needed a more upright position. The SScrambler bars cured the problem for me. Can't say what it will do for anyone else.
jb
Thank you sir.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
depending on your fitness level even more than age-just a number- what we find comfortable is a personal choice. many + myself included have bought bikes for their looks only to find out TOO many changes $$$$ are needed to get comfortable or meet other expectations. too bad cables + brake lines are not stretchy then only handlebars would be needed!

·
Registered
204 Posts
....myself included have bought bikes for their looks only to find out TOO many changes $$$$ are needed to get comfortable ....
I have averaged about 1 new bike a year for the past 10 years. Every one of them needed some type of change to get the ergonomics right for me....seat, handlebars, foot pegs, raise or lower suspension, etc.

As best as I can remember, here's what the Street Scrambler bar conversion cost me in USD:
SScrambler handle bars........125
SScrambler clutch cable....... 40
Rizoma risers........................100
1 hour triumph shop labor....115
(to re-route brake line)

TOTAL........... $380

Not an insignificant amount. But to me, it was well worth it. This is the first time in years that I have not had the urge to look for a new bike.

Even considering other items purchased for the Street Twin:
Hand guards
heated grips
T-120 gas tank
T-120 seat
saddle bags
windshield

These expenditures have saved me much more than the cost of the bars and other items as compared to the cost of another new bike.

jb

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have averaged about 1 new bike a year for the past 10 years. Every one of them needed some type of change to get the ergonomics right for me....seat, handlebars, foot pegs, raise or lower suspension, etc.

As best as I can remember, here's what the Street Scrambler bar conversion cost me in USD:
SScrambler handle bars........125
SScrambler clutch cable....... 40
Rizoma risers........................100
1 hour triumph shop labor....115
(to re-route brake line)

TOTAL........... $380

Not an insignificant amount. But to me, it was well worth it. This is the first time in years that I have not had the urge to look for a new bike.

Even considering other items purchased for the Street Twin:
Hand guards
heated grips
T-120 gas tank
T-120 seat
saddle bags
windshield

These expenditures have saved me much more than the cost of the bars and other items as compared to the cost of another new bike.

jb
That’s awesome. Some really good insight.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I’m thinking this has given me the confidence to go ahead with the Street Scrambler handlebars. jb44, I like the look of the rizoma risers. They’ll need to be for 1 1/8” handlebars, (S. Scrambler bars), right?
I saw your post earlier in this thread just now. 1 1/8” it is.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Update to my handlebars search: I’m going to start by installing some 2” rox risers. I’ll see how that works, comfort wise. If I feel like the slightly wider street scrambler handlebars would be better, I’ll get those in the future.

If I take the bike to a dealer to install and reroute the clutch and brake line - I’m wondering if I should have a backup plan for brake line. In case they mess up the rerouting?

If so, would a brake line extender work for backup, or would a whole new brake line be necessary?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Update to my handlebars search: I’m going to start by installing some 2” rox risers. I’ll see how that works, comfort wise. If I feel like the slightly wider street scrambler handlebars would be better, I’ll get those in the future.

If I take the bike to a dealer to install and reroute the clutch and brake line - I’m wondering if I should have a backup plan for brake line. In case they mess up the rerouting?

If so, would a brake line extender work for backup, or would a whole new brake line be necessary?
If I do get new handlebars, do they have to have the same cutouts as the stock street twin bars? If so, why? I know I’m showing how little I know, I just don’t know where else to look or ask.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Clutch cable was changed to i think a scrambler cable but not sure as it was a while ago.
Brake line was made to measure. not an overpriced Triumph genuine part.
The std switch gear cable lengths were not changed.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts