Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nothing different. I just ended up using Street Scrambler cables, instead.

Oh yeah, I absolutely did. Plus, since they are taller, I can adjust it and tilt it further back than the stock bars to get it even closer. I'm a short guy at 169cm, and it's perfect for me. My advice? Head over to the nearest Triumph showroom or grab a buddy's Street Scrambler and sit on that. See if it's enough of a difference for you, because the whole conversion isn't cheap so you'd want to be a little more certain before putting down the dough.
It cost me the equivalent of about $250-270, all in. Honestly, that's quite a bit of money for this. And it might be a bit more expensive for you, cause labour in India is relatively cheaper

PS: We are all sitting at home, so time is something we have plenty of for the next few weeks. Hope everyone is safe at your end, man. Let the questions flow, and I'll answer everything I can.
Cool. Thanks so much my dude. Heading to sleep but will shoot you any further questions. We’re in the same boat, sitting at home, with lots of time. Because of the virus. But this is a good hobby, and I’m glad you share it!

·
Registered
77 Posts
While we’re letting the questions flow, do you think adding rox risers to the scrambler bars would be overkill? (For added height and sweep capability). I wonder if the scrambler cables would still reach. Did you end up changing the foot pegs positions for more relaxed riding position? If so did that make a significant difference in riding position comfort?

·
Registered
77 Posts
And just making sure, is this the list of parts you used (from your earlier post)? Nothing different from this?

T2043572 * Handlebar * * * * * * *$ 116.17
T2041567 * Riser, RH * * * * * * * $ * 26.11
T2041568 * Riser, LH * * * * * * * *$ * 26.11
T2041236 * Upper clamp * * * * *$ * 34.36
T2048870 * Cable, clutch * * * * *$ * 33.65
T2028112 * Brake line * * * * * * * $ * 49.70
(Check if brake line can be rerouted)
T3550229 * Washer, sealing x4 $ * * *1.04 *each

·
Registered
77 Posts
Really helpful picture. Thanks for sending. I’m wondering what the measurement from the center of the street scrambler bars to the hand positions is on it - like the height, not the length. (Is there a name for that?) Another thing, I wonder what the advantages of rox risers (or others) vs. the street scrambler bars might be? Or combining the two?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think you mean the "rise" of the handlebars.
In the straight up (vertical) position, the rise from the center of the bars to the end of the grips is 5".
But as you rotate them back towards you, the actual rise decreases.
My bars are rotated backwards so they are closer to me, and the rise is only 2".

I had to install risers for 1 1/8" handlebars, and used the clutch cable from the Street Scrambler.
If you use the Street Scrambler brake line, the swing arm DOES need to be removed to access the ABS modulator.

However there are other options, like a brake line extender kit, or if you are extremely careful not to kink the line, you can re-route the stock brake line to the right side of the frame.

The Street Scrambler bars aren't perfect. I would have preferred more pullback, but I needed the cutouts on the Triumph bars to make the installation easier, and to install heated grips.

As for the foot pegs, the ones from the T-120 are a bit lower, but expensive. There is a company (can't recall) that makes an adjustable set of foot pegs for the Street Twin.

jb

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think you mean the "rise" of the handlebars.
In the straight up (vertical) position, the rise from the center of the bars to the end of the grips is 5".
But as you rotate them back towards you, the actual rise decreases.
My bars are rotated backwards so they are closer to me, and the rise is only 2".

I had to install risers for 1" handlebars, and used the clutch cable from the Street Scrambler.
If you use the Street Scrambler brake line, the swing arm DOES need to be removed to access the ABS modulator.

However there are other options, like a brake line extender kit, or if you are extremely careful not to kink the line, you can re-route the stock brake line to the right side of the frame.

The Street Scrambler bars aren't perfect. I would have preferred more pullback, but I needed the cutouts on the Triumph bars to make the installation easier, and to install heated grips.

As for the foot pegs, the ones from the T-120 are a bit lower, but expensive. There is a company (can't recall) that makes an adjustable set of foot pegs for the Street Twin.

jb
Thanks so much jb. That is extremely helpful.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes, and I made a correction to my post: the Street Scrambler bars are 1 1/8" in diameter at the clamps.

jb
Thanks again Jb. Got another one for you if you didn’t mind... I like the idea of additional pullback to the streets scrambler bars. Do you think that might be partly solved by using risers that extend the bars back a little more? That way I could keep the bar cutouts.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yes. Extended risers would increase the rearward position of the bars. ( pull back usually refers to the angle of the grip position, but many of the measurement terms are commonly interchanged.).

The limiting factor is the length of the clutch cable, brake line, and the electrical wires.

jb

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks again Jb. Got another one for you if you didn’t mind... I like the idea of additional pullback to the streets scrambler bars. Do you think that might be partly solved by using risers that extend the bars back a little more? That way I could keep the bar cutouts.
Yes. Extended risers would increase the rearward position of the bars. ( pull back usually refers to the angle of the grip position, but many of the measurement terms are commonly interchanged.).

The limiting factor is the length of the clutch cable, brake line, and the electrical wires.

jb
cool, thank you. Again, very helpful.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Is it possible to measure how long your clutch, brake, and electrical wires will need to be? Would they be sold in those lengths?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Is it possible to measure how long your clutch, brake, and electrical wires will need to be? Would they be sold in those lengths?
Not easy way to measure the parts on the bike. They would need to be removed, layed out straight, and measured.

There are a few companies that make custom clutch cables (in the US) (Barnett, Motion Pro) and brake lines can be custom made in any length. As far as I know, the electrical wires would have to be spliced and added to.

The usual process is to mount the new risers and bars, then measure how much longer than the stock cables the new cables need to be....+1,+2,+3 inches, etc.

Then you would contact the company, get a price, and then send them your stock cables if they don't have the measurements on hand.

Same with the brake line....although there are many small shops that can make up a brake line. I have made my own by ordering the parts online, then assembling them myself.

I have ordered cables from both Barnett and Motion Pro in the past for other bikes...usually took 2-3 weeks for delivery.

I sense that you may be looking for an inexpensive way to move the bars up and back.

My best advice for low cost is to get set of Rox risers in the appropriate bar size, a Street Scrambler clutch cable, and a brake line extension (if you don't want to move the stock brake line). You may need to re-route the electrical wires.

Rox Risers are usually under $100 to 200 usd depending on which ones you choose. There are Chinese clones of the Rox Risers for about half the price if you want to go that route.

jb

·
Registered
205 Posts
What did you end up doing with the brake line and electrical wires?
I had the stock brake line re-routed to the right side of the frame by the mechanic at the Triumph shop. Paid for 1 hour of labor.

After watching him do the job, I think I could have done it myself. Another member of this forum successfully moved the brake line on his own.

I re-routed the stock electrical wires.

jb

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had the stock brake line re-routed to the right side of the frame by the mechanic at the Triumph shop. Paid for 1 hour of labor.

After watching him do the job, I think I could have done it myself. Another member of this forum successfully moved the brake line on his own.

I re-routed the stock electrical wires.

jb
Man, you’ve been an enormous help. Thank you.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Did you mean Street Scrambler clutch cable?
Yes, thanks for the correction.

The more I thought about it, the least expensive option is just some 30 mm riser spacers, as I believe someone previously posted.

If I could find the "perfect" set of handlebars......:)...I might do it differently.

But that would involve cutting the notches and drilling holes in the perfect bars. Then getting a custom clutch cable and brake line, and perhaps some splicing of electrical wires.

Or Triumph has a high bar handlebar kit for the Bobber that might be modified.....

Although I have the time and tools (I'm retired), the SScrambler bar conversion and modifications took about all the mechanical skills I want to deal with at this time.

jb

21 - 40 of 89 Posts