Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the larger handle bars on the T120/ bobber/ Scrambler, have that size the whole lengh of the bar or do they taper down at the ends so as to fit the same size levers and switch gear etc as the Street Twin? thanks :smile2:

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
No they are 1" all the way, 7/8" on the ST and Thruxton R, you can't swap the controls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
I recently contacted a Triumph dealership in NYC regarding a similar query. I wanted to swap out my ST handlebars with the Street Scrambler ones, for the addition width and height. This is the answer I received:

"The conversion of the Triumph Street Scrambler handlebar to your Street Twin would entail the following parts:

1) T2043572 Handlebar $ 116.17
1) T2041567 Riser, RH $ 26.11
1) T2041568 Riser, LH $ 26.11
1) T2041236 Upper clamp $ 34.36
1) T2048870 Cable, clutch $ 33.65
1) T2028112 Brake line $ 49.70
1) T2041919 Switch, LH $ 167.38
1) T2041708 Switch, RH $ 110.67
4) T3550229 Washer, sealing $ 1.04 each

The ride by wire throttle is the same. I included the switches, LH and RH, as the wire length is longer."

When I asked then whether my stock switches would fit the Scrambler bars, they responded saying they would, but the wires are not long enough to compensate for the rise in handlebar height, thus would need to be changed. So I've been led to believe they are the same diameter, atleast at the switches mounting location.

On the other hand, they have different part numbers, which is odd cause if they were swappable, they are the same part, and would have the same numbers.

Has anyone spoken to an official from Triumph UK head office to confirm this?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Do the larger handle bars on the T120/ bobber/ Scrambler, have that size the whole lengh of the bar or do they taper down at the ends so as to fit the same size levers and switch gear etc as the Street Twin? thanks :smile2:
I spoke to a Triumph UK representative. He confirmed that as far as the Street Scrambler goes, it is 27.5mm at the centre, and tapers to 22.15mm at the ends

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I spoke to a Triumph UK representative. He confirmed that as far as the Street Scrambler goes, it is 27.5mm at the centre, and tapers to 22.15mm at the ends
Thanks for that, sounds hopeful that I can get more comfortable bars for my street as price is not prohibitive if I can use same switch gear. ?:grin2:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for that, sounds hopeful that I can get more comfortable bars for my street as price is not prohibitive if I can use same switch gear. ?
Haha you think just like me. So the reason I was speaking to Triumph was to figure this very part out.

So the switchgear will fit, but the wires coming out of it are not long enough with the taller Scrambler bars. So you could splice wires, which is the cheap option, or but Scrambler switch gears, which will easily double the cost of the project. Basically, I got a list of the parts you'd need to make that conversion. If you can wait till December, I'm the guinea pig to see how it works. If you want it sooner, these are the parts you need to make it happen.

T2043572 * Handlebar * * * * * * *$ 116.17
T2041567 * Riser, RH * * * * * * * $ * 26.11
T2041568 * Riser, LH * * * * * * * *$ * 26.11
T2041236 * Upper clamp * * * * *$ * 34.36
T2048870 * Cable, clutch * * * * *$ * 33.65
T2028112 * Brake line * * * * * * * $ * 49.70
T3550229 * Washer, sealing x4 $ * * *1.04 *each

If you want the switch gears though,
T2041919 Switch, LH $ 167.38
T2041708 Switch, RH $ 110.67

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha you think just like me. So the reason I was speaking to Triumph was to figure this very part out.

So the switchgear will fit, but the wires coming out of it are not long enough with the taller Scrambler bars. So you could splice wires, which is the cheap option, or but Scrambler switch gears, which will easily double the cost of the project. Basically, I got a list of the parts you'd need to make that conversion. If you can wait till December, I'm the guinea pig to see how it works. If you want it sooner, these are the parts you need to make it happen.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for going to the trouble to supply that info, I will wait and see how you get on and look forward to your feed back, hope it works well for you, its a pity Triumph don't offer different hight bars from new. :smile2:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Following up on my handlebar goals, as Im waiting for it to come down in November-December, I did some more research.

The Stock Street Twin handlebars are 22.15mm and the Street Scrambler handlebars are 28.5mm. This is useful to know when you are looking at risers.

Also, bear in mind that any sort of risers will need a replacement clutch cable. Thanks to this lovely thread about T100 risers, the America LT cable is a direct fit. http://www.triumphrat.net/water-cooled-twins-talk/838122-handlebar-risers-for-2017-t100.html On speaking to a Triumph rep, I was informed that the Street Scrambler cable is 1120mm, the America LT cable is 1303.5mm and if you really need more length for some reason, the Triumph Bobber high bars cable is 1600mm.

On a final note, Im going to try the Street Scrambler handlebar setup with the America LT clutch cable. If I feel I still need more height, Im gonna then try this pullback risers I found for the BMW R1200GS. https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/handlebar-riser-ergo-41970-111-1.html But being the same diameter, it should be a straight fit. I think this should sort out reach issues for the shortest of us.

Now why won't that November come sooner?!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Following up on my handlebar goals, as Im waiting for it to come down in November-December, I did some more research.

The Stock Street Twin handlebars are 22.15mm and the Street Scrambler handlebars are 28.5mm. This is useful to know when you are looking at risers.

Also, bear in mind that any sort of risers will need a replacement clutch cable. Thanks to this lovely thread about T100 risers, the America LT cable is a direct fit. http://www.triumphrat.net/water-cooled-twins-talk/838122-handlebar-risers-for-2017-t100.html On speaking to a Triumph rep, I was informed that the Street Scrambler cable is 1120mm, the America LT cable is 1303.5mm and if you really need more length for some reason, the Triumph Bobber high bars cable is 1600mm.

On a final note, Im going to try the Street Scrambler handlebar setup with the America LT clutch cable. If I feel I still need more height, Im gonna then try this pullback risers I found for the BMW R1200GS. https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/handlebar-riser-ergo-41970-111-1.html But being the same diameter, it should be a straight fit. I think this should sort out reach issues for the shortest of us.

Now why won't that November come sooner?!

I will be interested to hear how you get on with that. I went into my local dealer who said they could do the change of bars changing the brake hose and cables, risers etc, using the existing switches by entending the wiring but even with that they wanted £500.00 to do it, saying that sorting the ABS was a lot of work? :surprise:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I will be interested to hear how you get on with that. I went into my local dealer who said they could do the change of bars changing the brake hose and cables, risers etc, using the existing switches by entending the wiring but even with that they wanted £500.00 to do it, saying that sorting the ABS was a lot of work? :surprise:
$500 seems really steep man. I think I should get mine done in under $250-300. If you dont have to change out the switches, I dont see why it gets so expensive? And Im now fairly certain the stock switches will work. The thread I linked above, that has a much greater handlebar position displacement, and he said he didn't need to splice or extend his switches' wiring. He didn't even change his brake line. It was just the clutch that needed an extension.

But then again, labour here in India is a fraction of what it is elsewhere, so maybe that's where the major chunk of your costing is from. That being said, it sure doesn't look like a complex job. It's just swapping out cables. To the best of my knowledge, you just might need to take off the fuel tank to access the ABS cable that runs underneath, which is a couple of bolts.
Have you asked for a break up of the cost? Or perhaps an outside mechanic?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
$500 seems really steep man. I think I should get mine done in under $250-300. If you dont have to change out the switches, I dont see why it gets so expensive? And Im now fairly certain the stock switches will work. The thread I linked above, that has a much greater handlebar position displacement, and he said he didn't need to splice or extend his switches' wiring. He didn't even change his brake line. It was just the clutch that needed an extension.

But then again, labour here in India is a fraction of what it is elsewhere, so maybe that's where the major chunk of your costing is from. That being said, it sure doesn't look like a complex job. It's just swapping out cables. To the best of my knowledge, you just might need to take off the fuel tank to access the ABS cable that runs underneath, which is a couple of bolts.
Have you asked for a break up of the cost? Or perhaps an outside mechanic?
Its ££££ 's not $$$'s so even worst than you thought, needless to say I will not be getting them to do it, still hoping you are successful and I will follow your lead :smile2:

·
Registered
77 Posts

Hope this helps!
Did you ever have any luck with this Aadilnaik? My back is killing me with my Street Twin stock handlebars. I was hoping you could say if it worked or not.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Did you ever have any luck with this Aadilnaik? My back is killing me with my Street Twin stock handlebars. I was hoping you could say if it worked or not.
Hey General,
Yeah man, I was successful! Cost me an arm and a leg, and I wonder if I could've achieved the same with a set of aftermarket risers. But I'm not complaining.
The Street Scrambler bars, being wider and higher, have altered how I leverage the bike, now, and the difference is immediately noticeable. I love it. It makes the bike 'feel' lighter and more nimble. Note I said 'feel', because obviously weight hasn't changed.
One thing you should check, if you go ahead with this, is the cables. My Triumph service rep insisted stock cables wouldn't be long enough, so we swapped those for the Street Scrambler cables, but I keep reading on forums that the stock cables are fine, so just see if they are before shelling out the dough for new cables.

Other than that, it's fantastic. No complaints, whatsoever.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey General,
Yeah man, I was successful! Cost me an arm and a leg, and I wonder if I could've achieved the same with a set of aftermarket risers. But I'm not complaining.
The Street Scrambler bars, being wider and higher, have altered how I leverage the bike, now, and the difference is immediately noticeable. I love it. It makes the bike 'feel' lighter and more nimble. Note I said 'feel', because obviously weight hasn't changed.
One thing you should check, if you go ahead with this, is the cables. My Triumph service rep insisted stock cables wouldn't be long enough, so we swapped those for the Street Scrambler cables, but I keep reading on forums that the stock cables are fine, so just see if they are before shelling out the dough for new cables.

Other than that, it's fantastic. No complaints, whatsoever.
Aadilnaik- thanks so much man!! At least I know you liked the result. Did you do anything different than that list you made a while back?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Aadilnaik- thanks so much man!! At least I know you liked the result. Did you do anything different than that list you made a while back?
Hey man, sorry to bug you again. I had a couple more questions I’ve been meaning to ask - did you notice a signficant difference in the bars' “sweep” - back closer to where your hands comfortably reach? Also, if you didn’t mind, what was the price breakdown of the project? If you don’t have time or that’s too much info to share no problem. Just trying to get a feel for the kind of parts and labor involved so I know what’s fair at a dealer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nothing different. I just ended up using Street Scrambler cables, instead.

Hey man, sorry to bug you again. I had a couple more questions I’ve been meaning to ask - did you notice a signficant difference in the bars' “sweep” - back closer to where your hands comfortably reach? Also, if you didn’t mind, what was the price breakdown of the project? If you don’t have time or that’s too much info to share no problem. Just trying to get a feel for the kind of parts and labor involved so I know what’s fair at a dealer.
Oh yeah, I absolutely did. Plus, since they are taller, I can adjust it and tilt it further back than the stock bars to get it even closer. I'm a short guy at 169cm, and it's perfect for me. My advice? Head over to the nearest Triumph showroom or grab a buddy's Street Scrambler and sit on that. See if it's enough of a difference for you, because the whole conversion isn't cheap so you'd want to be a little more certain before putting down the dough.
It cost me the equivalent of about $250-270, all in. Honestly, that's quite a bit of money for this. And it might be a bit more expensive for you, cause labour in India is relatively cheaper

PS: We are all sitting at home, so time is something we have plenty of for the next few weeks. Hope everyone is safe at your end, man. Let the questions flow, and I'll answer everything I can.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts