Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't ridden my bonnie very far yet, but I find that my seating position is leaned slightly more forward than I am used to. I worry that on longer rides this will start to bother my back.

I was wondering if I should get bar risers? Any thoughts? Also, I was looking at how the handlebars bolt on - what the hell kind of tool do I need to take them off? The bolts just look completely round with little teeth around them.

Another thing is, I have a thruxton gel seat on the way. Will this change my seated position in any way?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I put the risers on my bike and I love them. I got them from
newbonneville.com they come with longer bolts and they
install very easy.
They lift you up and back just right.
You have just enough play in all the cables.
And the look cool.
Bill

·
Registered
893 Posts
You need a special tool for those round toothy bolts. Its on your body and is called a fingernail. :-D You could use a screwdriver. They're just chrome plated plastic caps that will pop off revealing the allen bolts underneath. I wondered the same thing when I first looked at them.

Dennis

·
Registered
471 Posts
I tried Westerner bars - wider, slightly higher and pulled back a bit. Made all the difference. Only drawback is you have to change the cables and brake line - though the kit is available from suppliers of the bars, it's not cheap.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Try Jim's spacers - they'll bring the bars up and back about an inch, and they look like they came from the factory.

He has a website, but I don't have the link here - google "Jims Spacers" and see what you come up with. He has a photo of a Bonnie with the spacers installed on his site.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those Jim's Spacers look nicer than the newbonneville ones, and although the ordering is archaic (you have to mail an order form with a check), For 29.99 shipping included (vs. New Bonneville's 74.95 + shipping), I'm ordering Jim's.

Thanks!

(btw here is the link to Jim's Spacers)

·
Registered
893 Posts
I didn't "feel" right on my Bonnie when I got her so installed bar risers. Found that my butt lasted even a shorter time with the even more upright position so I bought a king/queen seat. Ended up removing the risers when I installed the Parabellum windshield. Now the windshield and the king/queen seat is off and I'm back to the stock bars and seat for now with no problem. I even turned them down a bit until my black M bars arrive from New Bonneville.

I guess what I'm sayin' is give yourself a thousand or more miles and see if its not a matter of you breaking in along with the bike breaking in. That seemed to be what it was for me. Of course, then you won't spend money on bike stuff either. :-D

Dennis

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I love my risers. No more shoulder hurting and sitting is more comfortable. I got mine from Sel-Motion, and the finish is great makes them look as if they came from the factory. 15 bucks cheaper than NewBonneville :-D

·
Registered
751 Posts
After several expensive handle bar experiments I went with the Jenks Risers.
The Jenks 30mm Risers are great, i was having similar problems with my back after doing 3000 miles in Europe in 13 days.
The risers make the bike a very comfortable ride.

As for Western Bar Cables, I looked at the cable kit and thought it a bit pricey for what it is.

Here in the UK we have a very reputable company called Venhill Engineering who custom make cables and brake lines for a vary modest rate.

If you look into it you might find it cheaper to get them to make them for you and import them.

Just an idea.

Jon (uk)

Venhill Brake hoses and cables

http://www.venhill.co.uk/

Jenks 30mm Risers

http://www.triumph-bonneville.com/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=97

1 - 10 of 10 Posts