Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone here has bar risers on their 1050. I know that it requires rerouting of cables or putting longer cables on, so I'd probably just have the dealer install them.

What I wonder about is how this changes the bike. Does it really get that much more comfortable? Does wind become more bothersome? What have your experiences with them been like?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Get some axle collars...

New guy here, been a member for a couple of months now. I haven't posted anything yet, as I haven't needed to all the information and questions I have had have been answered by browsing the forums. All question except the bar riser question.

I'm a 6' 2, long arms when i was riding my speedy stock, I would get a pain in my left shoulder blade. This was taken care of by fitting sunline rmx bars, both straiter and taller than the stock speedy bars; all my wires were long enough with a little rerouting. I still found though that my wrists hurt on longer freeway trips. I fitted bar risers and now all wrist pain is gone, still good for the freeway trips up to about 160km/h. What I used for my risers were axle collars; they are about 3/4inch thick and about 1inch in diameter. They weren't a perfect fit so I had to slighlty enlarge the riser holes in the triple clamp but once that was done they fit nicely.

If you can't find 1 inch or don't want to enlarge your triple clamp hole, you can use 3/4 inch collars; it just looks a little funny.

·
Registered
379 Posts
what risers were you considering for your triple?? i know the BC risers requires no modifications or longer cables to work on your motorcycle

·
Registered
13 Posts
Used 3/8 inch drive sockets as risers

Hi,

I made risers out of 3/8 inch drive sockets. I don't recall the socket size right now, but I just picked one from my socket set that matched the diameter of the handle bar mounts and bought two new ones that size at the local hardware store. I had to buy two new hex bolts for the bar mounts that were about 1 inch longer (from McMaster Carr). All the wires and cables had enough slack to work without changing, but I did have to get a new brake line made up. I also changed the bars that added several inches as well, so you might be able to use the stock line if you are just adding the 1 inch risers.

This change made a big difference in comfort for me, but I am 60 with a bad back, so I have to get the bike just right to ride any distance at all.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what risers were you considering for your triple?? i know the BC risers requires no modifications or longer cables to work on your motorcycle
None in particular, I'm open to suggestions.

Do you personally have the BC risers? This is the first I've ever heard of someone with an 08+ that put risers on and did not need longer cables.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You could look for some like this..

It's an 06 with 7/8" bars but you might be able to find something similiar for the Fat Bars. They're 1" up and 1" back and really make a difference in the ride. I could have used the stock brake line but you have to pop the line out of the fender clamps. Changing the brake line cost more than the dang risers.

Attachments

·
Registered
848 Posts
Hi,

I made risers out of 3/8 inch drive sockets. I don't recall the socket size right now, but I just picked one from my socket set that matched the diameter of the handle bar mounts and bought two new ones that size at the local hardware store. I had to buy two new hex bolts for the bar mounts that were about 1 inch longer (from McMaster Carr). All the wires and cables had enough slack to work without changing, but I did have to get a new brake line made up. I also changed the bars that added several inches as well, so you might be able to use the stock line if you are just adding the 1 inch risers.

This change made a big difference in comfort for me, but I am 60 with a bad back, so I have to get the bike just right to ride any distance at all.
Now that's ingenuity! I'd like to see pics of the finished product.

·
Registered
379 Posts
None in particular, I'm open to suggestions.

Do you personally have the BC risers? This is the first I've ever heard of someone with an 08+ that put risers on and did not need longer cables.
ive installed them and they are really nice quality and look great on your triple but make sure you get the fat bar risers as you have a 1 1/8" handlebar on your bike and the 7/8" risers will not work. you will not need longer cables at all its all direct stock replacement

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ive installed them and they are really nice quality and look great on your triple but make sure you get the fat bar risers as you have a 1 1/8" handlebar on your bike and the 7/8" risers will not work. you will not need longer cables at all its all direct stock replacement
That is some great information man, thank you. I'll consider those, I have a credit coming from them anyway.

·
Registered
379 Posts
yeah you will be happy with them, 6061 T6 aluminum hard anodized black or silver finish....really nice!

·
Registered
379 Posts
i think maybe a 1/4" its not a huge change but i believe they sell a riser spacer kit that will raise the riser 1/2" and 3/4" but you have to call them to buy them

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Having the '08, 1 1/8" bars, I'm still not having a lot of luck finding a good solution. The british customs bar backs only work for the 7/8" bars, and the other websites I google don't seem to have anything.

Does anyone know of a good option for '08+ bar risers that raise the bars and give a pullback from the stock position? And if so, what is needed in terms of the cables to make this happen.

Thanks for all your tips, but the BC ones won't work for my year, and I don't have 7/8" bars either.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 - 17 of 17 Posts