Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I apologise in advance if my question has been asked and answered many times over.

I have a set of Genmar bar risers I want to fit to my 2012 Sprint GT.

I gave them to the dealer before I took delivery of the bike and they fitted them as per the instructions but found that the bar ends caught the fairings and the clutch cable was excessively tight.

I had a long-running discussion on another forum with other GT and ST owners, some of whom said they had fitted the same risers and the bars did not touch the fairings on full lock and the clutch cable was not overly tight.

Others said they had experienced the same problem as me.

So - I'm trying to find out if anyone on this forum has fitted the Genmar risers to a GT without the issues I've described.

If so, I'd be really grateful if you could show me how you did it!

Many thanks in advance.

Mark

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sorry Mark but you get no support here. The risers do touch the fairing and they do make the clutch cable tight. Now, having said that, it really isn't a big problem. I just am careful when moving the bike that I don't going to full stop on the bars. I tried rerouting the clutch cable (and I believe it can be done) but it wasn't working for me without major rerouting so I left it alone. I keep an eye on things to make sure nothing is getting overstressed and I believe it'll be OK.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Even the 3/4" version hits the fairing on full lock and the clutch cable is snug. it is what it is.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi Mark

Just to confuse you further, I fitted the 1" bar risers to my GT and loosened the handlebars and gave them a little tweek for adjustment, and they do miss the fairing, (just).
I re-routed the clutch cable to the other side of the ignition switch and it is now ok. It may be approaching tightish on full left lock, but as there is no distortion, I don't believe it will create any issues.

Fitting the risers has certainly made a difference for me and is worth the mucking about and expense.

Good luck, persevere, it is worth it.

Rodger

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. Rodger, someone else achieved the same clearance by loosening the bars and "fiddling", which I took to mean that they fully locked the bars, pulled them back then tightened the bolts.

Is that how you did it?

Also, how "easy" was it to reroute the clutch cable?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thanks all. Rodger, someone else achieved the same clearance by loosening the bars and "fiddling", which I took to mean that they fully locked the bars, pulled them back then tightened the bolts.

Is that how you did it?

Yes, that's about it, you will only get a fraction of movement, but it should be enough.

Also, how "easy" was it to reroute the clutch cable?

Loosen the adjustments at the handlebar clutchlever and gearbox lever. Remove at the handle bar and rethread over the other side of the ignition switch. Reconnect and adjust correctly. Very easy, takes 5 minutes.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
if the bike is set up properly why are any risers needed?
Matter of comfort for those who prefer a bit more upright riding position. The risers push the bars up and back so you don't have to lean over as much as stock.

·
Registered
17 Posts
if the bike is set up properly why are any risers needed?
Just fitted the Genmar 1" risers- took all of a 15 minutes. Just setting the bike up for a two up trip from Perth to Melbourne. With my taller partner on the back and me being only 5'6", for me to sit just a tad more upright makes it more comfy for her and a little more control for dodging around carparks, etc. Went out for a quick test and yep they'll do the trick fine. I also have a set of old broken collarbones and for long touring these are looking good for lessening the ache factor AND... for me blasting about on my own it will take less than 15 minutes to take them back off and get down low and go, go, go.
Kolodong is right - hooking the clutch cable is easy, yes they touch the fairing on full lock, it won't be a problem, after owning Ducatis I don't think I ever get to steering lock on other road bikes!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts