Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HALP !!! Someone direct me to a thread or maybe some info on any make of bar risers for my 06 Sprint ST. After two years, I've finally decided I need to get some bar risers to make my ride a bit more comfy. I found a LSL bar riser kit thread but don't want the whole new bar with new lines. Is there any bar riser for my clip ons out there which adds some improvement without having to change out the stock cables? The bar riser kit from Triumph and british-customs is $200 US and it comes with new cables.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I don't have them and there are varying opinions, but GenMar risers are supposed to not need new cables. They are around $110 retail. Do a search on this name along with "risers."

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
I have Gen-Mars on my '08 ABS and they fit fine. I'm happy with the riding position as well! :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the LSL set up on my 06 and like the position. It still uses the stock cables with some mild rerouting. I'll soon have it up for sale as I'm going the GSXR 1000 front end route this winter.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have Gen-Mars on my '08 ABS and they fit fine. I'm happy with the riding position as well! :D
I thought the 07 and 08 models had higher bars already...something that was an option on the previous model became stock.

Just got the 08 model myself and I gotta tell ya, my right wrist has not hurt me so much since I was 14....hehehe.

Mind you, jumping on this from a cruiser was a change and something I'll need to get used to...but if these reduce the wrist discomfort (specially for touring)...might be a good option.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
I thought the 07 and 08 models had higher bars already...something that was an option on the previous model became stock.
They are higher, but I noticed a big improvement with the risers I put on.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I put the Gen-Mar risers on my 06 about two weeks ago. Putting them on was the easy part. Some of the cables were a little tighter than I liked. I ended up moving the front brake line and clutch cable to make me feel more at ease which took a bit longer to do. I didn't notice a big difference but I am sure that it made the 2500 miles I put on last week more enjoyable.

~chip

·
Registered
410 Posts
I fitted a pair of second hand GenMar risers to my 01 ST that I got after an appeal on this forum. I guess there must be many more of these sculling around onder workshop benches gathering dust. To my mind they have transformed the bike. Fitting was very easy. Admittedly some cable runs were a bit tight, as others have mentioned, but really, only the clutch had to be rerouted. May be a bit different on the later models ?
It will be a very worthwhile excerise what ever they cost you.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi :)
+1 for GenMars. I've got them installed in my '06 ST and they're really fine :thumbsup:
Installation is rather easy, but I had to reroute clutch cable and front brake line.

·
Registered
31 Posts
+1 for GenMars. I've got them installed in my '06 ST and they're really fine :thumbsup:
Installation is rather easy, but I had to reroute clutch cable and front brake line.

Any way someone could send some pictures or a better expanation of how to remove the clutch cable and brake line to reroute.

I got the Genmar's for my 05 Sprint ST and the lines are very tight. I can't even get the throttle riser re-installed with the current configuration of the cables and front brake line.

Pictures would be great and are always a good tool to use when performing mods to your car/bike.

Many thanks in advance for anyone who can help!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I put 1 and 1/2 inch gen mars on my 2006. I found no issue with clutch or brake cables. Throttle needed a minor reroute and its been smooth sailing ever since

·
Registered
25 Posts
just put genmars on my 06. They look great. Had to disconnect and reroute the brake line and bleed the system etc. Clutch cable is tight and is pushed under the ign barrel which I don't like. How are others rerouting the clutch cable? Are you still going round under the through the upper forks?

·
Registered
203 Posts

Any way someone could send some pictures or a better expanation of how to remove the clutch cable and brake line to reroute.
Many thanks in advance for anyone who can help!
I've got no pictures of installation process as I was busy doing that ;)
BUT... the hint is:
Factory braking line route is between fork pipes. The only thing to be done is taking it to the outside. You can disconnect the line from th calliper and then it's really easy, but I didn't want to vent the brake after all.
To do that I had to take off hole MC including brake fluid container from handlebar and reroute cable with MC between pipes to the outside. I had to have the front wheel not standing on the ground.
To reroute cable I had to twist it few times when I moved it.

After Risers installation I checked ones again if the cable is long enough for maximum suspention protrusion.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Anyone have these and have an opinion to share?? Thanks.
I believe OldnDumb has these on his Sprint. You may want to PM him if he doesn't chime in. I am going to go this route on my 05 when I rustle up enough cash. It gives you many more height and position options then a set of riser blocks which may come into good use as you age (like me) and can appreciate a more relaxed riding position. It also allows you to quickly change the position if you are going on an extended tour and then change it back to more sporty position when you reach a set of twisties. Best of both worlds in my opinion.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I couldn't afford the Convertibars but ended up get a set of second hand Gen Mars. For some people the cable tension is fine but on mine the clutch cable and brake line was a little to tight. To fix the brake line problem, I removed the reservoir and master cylinder/lever (only 3 screws) and passed it down the front of the fork, between the fork tubes and back up the back side of the fork. It now has a little slack and doesn't get in the way of the fork/frame when I turn. The clutch side I had to be a little more creative with since I have a GPS mount on top of the risers. I just disconnected the clutch cable, brought it behind the right handle bar, passed it through my GPS mount then reconnected it. The result isn't as pretty but it functions great. I can now lock the steering without feeling like the cable is going to snap.
~chip

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've got a set of Triumph raised-bars on our 06, to make it the same as the '07ABS.

It was a bit of a challenge to fit, clutch cable, throttle cables and brake line all come with the kit and must be fitted however they are much better than the Gen-mar risers. pm me if you want the part #, I'll have to go get it off the box.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts