Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do bar end weights provide a noticeable difference in slow speed turning and vibration reduction?
If so, are there any after market options suitable for TBA/Speedie stock bars?

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark- how do you secure the roll on the inside of the bar?

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I'm assuming the BA/SM stock bars have the same "plugs" on the inside of the bar ends as the Bonnie bars....basically, a welded in "thread" an inch or so inside the ends of the bars. I'm using these on my M-bars with bar end plugs

It's that "plug" that allows washers to be used because the washers "rest" against that plug, and that it was keeps them in place.

My hard-drive died a few months ago, so most of my pics are gone...but I had two left on this site.

This first one shows a couple of washers on the bar end screw...just so you get an ideal of what I mean....so keep in mind the actual bar end weight is not pictured here.

The second pic is just a piece of inner tube that I had cut up and used a hole puncher on. I went to a local bicycle store and asked for an old damaged inner tube...and they gave me one for free.

Basically, ride you bike to home-depot. When you get there, remove one of your bar ends and take it with you so that you can have something for comparison in terms of what washer size you need.
Buy a dozen of them, slip 5 or 6 washers on the inside of each bar end, and ride home to tape them up and add the "rubber" washers.

All you are really doing is adding a little bit of weight to the empty spot between your actual bar ends, and the plug on the inside of the bars. A handful of washers should do the trick....it really can't hurt anything...and it's not like it is a permanent mod.

5 minute job....total cost is about the price of a Krispy Kreme. :-D

[ This message was edited by: Panthermark on 2007-02-10 14:48 ]

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent!
I won't riding my bike anywhere for a while though...still a bit nippy and snowy. :wink:

·
Registered
553 Posts
so you guys are saying there is a lot of vibration in the bars

thinking of buying a triumph but someone told me to stay away from twins because of vibration :???:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Geez, who told you that?......if anything the parallel vertical twins are the smoothest...maybe what you heard was about the V-twins, like Harleys.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
From what I've heard, Triumphs in 70's used to vibrate.....

The new Triumphs do not.

I didn't have any vibrations in my stock bars, I only got them when I went to the smaller M-bars....and that was only at high-speeds.

It's not the bike, it's the bars.

I added some BC football grips and my washers, and a lot of the vibrations went away.

I think the twins they were refereeing to were the HD twins....I think it was the pre 2004 Sportys (some correct me if I'm wrong) that didn't have rubber engine mounts. They vibrated pretty bad.

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No... others with various experiences, please chime in...but I don't feel much vibration at all, I would just like to reduce what of it there is, and minimize the tingly right hand sensation as much as possible. I'm think new grips will also have some impact, either the retro style football grips or the Kuryakyns.
I've heard virtually no anecdotes from Triumph riders complaining about undue vibration; the opposite has seemed the case.

Good vibes, yes! Bad vibration, no.

:wink:

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good choices!
See you on the road if winter ever ends!

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PM on its way.

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's a great tip there dog... I'll be getting one of those as well.
And you're right about the problem with the grip of death. I know I've lightened up some since my complete newbie stage, but there are miles and miles to go. Ironically, the same is true of swinging a golf club- light grip pressure, like holding a baby bird in your hand (as Sam Snead said) is the best. Ooops, more info than you wanted, I suppose. :razz:

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Yup, I also have a Throttle Rocker...I think I ordered mine from ThrottleRocker.com......or something like that. 10 dollars.....10 second install.

As far as the mounting clamp goes....that's a good suggestion. I've always meant to use some of my rubber inter-tube as more damping material in the clamps, but I've never gotten around to it. I could probably do it now.....but it's too cold in the garage.
Besides...the football grips, throttle rocker, and washers fixed most of the vibration problems and hand cramps.

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great info, thanks all!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Paralell twins do vibrate quite heavilly but the new triumphs are good because they use balance shafts. Bar end weights do further help with vibration in the bars.-T1

·
Registered
96 Posts
G'day.
About 100 years ago my mate had a bar end weight to beat em all. A plug in the left side of the bar.attached to the plug was a length of chain,welded to the chain was a ball bearing that slid down into the bar.He called it "DF",short for "Dog Flogger"..
Don't know if it did anything for vibrations but it was hell on paintwork.
See ya. Macca.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts