Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a question about hardware, per se.

I am about to pick up a new (to me) Street Triple. The bike has bar end mirrors installed. The seller is the second owner, so the original mirrors are lost to the ages.

My question -- for those of you who ride them, how did you get used to them? On my test ride I was constantly looking where the mirrors weren't and I got progressively more uncomfortable as the test wore on.

Thoughts, advice?

·
Registered
Thruxton 1200 R , 900 , KTM Duke 390 , Honda NSR 125 , SWM 124
1,753 Posts
I have a speed triple with conventional mirrors and a thruxton with small after market bar end mirrors can't say that I have any problems with either . Nor did I have any problems with fairing mounted mirrors . I do always adjust mirrors to suit my personal preference and riding style , and when I was younger and more shall we say flexible I rode bikes without mirrors . Adjust the mirrors to suit you it may help fix in your mind where they are .

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
The big thing is to get them adjusted to suit you. I have both types on different bikes Not a big deal once it is your bike and you can set them the way you want them. ...J.D.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I built a street fighter with bar ends and i hated them! I thought i liked em at first, but meh too much of a hassle if you ask me. I was always adjusting them and they made getting through tight areas a pain. Just my humble opinion though.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Bar ends have one shortcoming in that they take your eyes farther from the road. Also, they're more likely to be blocked by a passenger's knees, depending on how you have them set. On the upside, they're less likely to be blocked by your arms.

Give 'em a try for a while, and if they don't work for ya, switch to standard mirrors.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm not a fan of the bar end mirrors. More difficult to use and they are often smaller than stock mirrors.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'd echo what some say.
I have bar-ends on my 68 650 (installed last spring) and I love 'em. Took a bit getting used to but, I like not seeing my elbows!
Looking to go the same way with the scrambler - although mostly cos I don't like the look of the stock ones.
Just my opinion..........ice is going slowly!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have them on my street scrambler. Took a few rides to get used to but, as mentioned above, it looks much cleaner.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes have bar-end mirror units on my Bonnie; they do take your line of sight away from the heads-up position but in time you will find your reaction to the other road users more observant plus you find a quick look forward from down at your mirrors becomes swift and smooth..Enjoy.

·
Registered
591 Posts
With bar end mirrors, you have the option to mount them either above the handle bar or below. Hopefully yours are above but some folks like them below 'cause they look "cool." If mounted below, I can see why you might be uncomfortable with them.

I have two Street Triples and both have bar end mirrors because the OEM Triumph mirrors were pretty hopeless for adjustability and they tend to give a good view of your arms and not the road behind. Properly adjust bar end mirrors should work very well and give you a good view of what's behind you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I like them, they look good on the bike, and mine are decent enough. One complaint I have about mine (round shaped ones) is that that they give a bit of a fish eyed view. Great to capture more of the surroundings, but things in the mirror are MUCH closer than they appear in mine. That took some time to get used to.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts