Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I'm after some bar end mirrors for my Legend. I'm having trouble sourcing some that actually fit due to the threaded handlebars.

Has anybody got any reccomendations or know of any that fit without any problems??

Many thanks :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
I swapped my stock bars for a set from a 2006 Speed Triple (around $20 on ebay) and went with the Triumph-branded Speed Triple bar end mirrors (they look just like Rizomas and cost around $100 on ebay but copies can be had for about half that). I had to slightly modify the switch housings to work with the new bars, but I think they worked out pretty well.

·
Premium Member
9,797 Posts
I have Napoleon mirrors on my TBS and to get them to fit snuggly, I removed the expanding rubber bit.

I then cut a small sleeve from a copper water pipe fitting to fit over the part that fits inside the bar to stabilize it and used a 5mm hex head bolt into the existing threaded plate.

You will find that the OD of the copper pipe is the same size as the ID of the bars.
From memory, the length of the copper sleeve was 10 mm.

No modifying of mirrors or bars required.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, some good ideas.
I'm looking at possibly mounting the original mirror heads on, using a home made bracket.
I think Halycon do a set but £85 :eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
This may be an obvious question but what are you guys doing with the hole where your stock mirrors attached? I thought about bar end mirrors but I didn't like the look of the empty hole on my handlebars.

·
Registered
444 Posts
This may be an obvious question but what are you guys doing with the hole where your stock mirrors attached? I thought about bar end mirrors but I didn't like the look of the empty hole on my handlebars.
I went to my local hardware store and purchased some black plastic caps that fit into the holes nicely.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I replaced my 1999 Thunderbird Sport mirrors last night. I have stock bars, and the Speed/Street Triple accessory bar end mirrors sold by Triumph are bolt-on. No mods necessary. Part numbers A9638029 (chrome), A9638030 (black), A9638059 (chrome) and A9638060 (black) are all the same thing, basically. They come with black plastic caps for your stock mirror screw holes.

I've struggled with even seemingly-easy stuff on this bike, but installing these mirrors took literally 15 minutes. You can find installation instructions at www.triumphinstructions.com .

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
I used Halcyon bar-end mirrors, and recently upgraded the mounting brackets to the new ones Halcyon makes.

Here's the mirrors

and here's the bracket

and here's how it looks on my bike:

These new mounting brackets might not mess up the threading on the internals of your bar, and a machinist can easily lathe them down to reduce their diameter if needed.

EDIT: holy wow Gaffy your mirror mod looks quite nice! How's vibration?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I replaced my 1999 Thunderbird Sport mirrors last night. I have stock bars, and the Speed/Street Triple accessory bar end mirrors sold by Triumph are bolt-on. No mods necessary. Part numbers A9638029 (chrome), A9638030 (black), A9638059 (chrome) and A9638060 (black) are all the same thing, basically. .
I actually like the look of these.
Which part number did you actually go for?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I actually like the look of these.
Which part number did you actually go for?
A9638029/30 are discontinued, but you may be able to find them lying around somewhere. A9638060 is the replacement for /30, so the dealer ordered those.

They are quite small, but look really good. They feel quality too. I'll have a chance to adjust them and go out for a ride on Saturday to see how well they work.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts