Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am here requesting your expert opinions. I have '09 Thrux bars on my bike with the inner tabs drilled out (sounded like a good idea at the time). I really like the Rizoma "Reverse Retro Bar End Mirror" but are damn expensive and not nearly as convenient to get as say a genuine Triumph part. The Speed Triple's bar end mirrors from Triumph are damn similar and I feel still look great (available in black too). Here they are:

As far as Rizomas go, their description is said to to be "for 22-30 mm HANDLE BARS, ADAPTERS INCLUDED" Does that mean they'd work on the 1" bars? I realize that the s3 bars are a 7/8 bar and my Thruxton bars are a 1" bar. Any suggestions on how to retrofit? I'd also be interested to hear about any other similar bar end mirror solutions you guys have come up with.

Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Look at it this way - if the bar diameter is too small to accept the mirrors, you can do nothing. Too big, on the other hand, you can use shims. If you really like the mirrors, you will make them work. I have a mirror made for mountain bicycles on my Bonneville that I like lots and made it work for me. Get what moves you!

·
Registered
306 Posts
bar ends

I made bar ends out of my stock mirrors. I used 5/8" rubber water line to shim it up. I got 1' for less than $1 at the hardware store. Even if the mounts are too small you could put a rubber sleve over it to shim it. Mine have stayed very tight for about 500 miles so far even after a very gentle lay down on the left side.

Pops

·
Registered
666 Posts
I am runnin the Third Eye bicycle bar end mirror. Not DOT and if you rat me out I will be pissed but works frickin great and they are cheap. I did break the mount on one moving around my garage, it stuck back on and didn't launch till over a ton. Hit my friend behind me on his Daytona. Since their around $10 it didn't hurt my feelings to buy a new one. I run a bicycle shop and we keep them in stock, your local bike shop can get them for sure. Here is a link to an online, aurgh, retailer
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/18...tm&zmam=3075515&zmas=1&zmac=7&zmap=235 THIBE8

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've been running the Rizoma Reverse Retro mirrors for a couple of years on my T100 and can't speak highly enough of them. Pricey? Yes, but fit and finish is truly outstanding. And they look really sweet. Got mine at PJ's Parts. The folks there are great to deal with.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been running the Rizoma Reverse Retro mirrors for a couple of years on my T100 and can't speak highly enough of them. Pricey? Yes, but fit and finish is truly outstanding. And they look really sweet. Got mine at PJ's Parts. The folks there are great to deal with.
Hey saltrat, could you post a pic or two of them on your bonnie? Also, did you shim them to fit 1" bars or were you running a 7/8 bar? Do tell!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have M Bars, which are 1". I didn't need to use anything fancy, other than what came with the mirrors. The Rizomas don't actually fit in the end of the bars, but instead clamp around the bars. As I recall, they arrived with a couple of different thicknesses of sleeves, which worked great.

Mine are mounted at the very end of the bars with Manic Salamander end weights insterted in the end of the bars. The Rizomas were perfect for me because many experience increased vibration with the M Bars and I wanted to add bar end weights to minimize the problem. It's worked great for me.

Here are pics:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have M Bars, which are 1". I didn't need to use anything fancy, other than what came with the mirrors. The Rizomas don't actually fit in the end of the bars, but instead clamp around the bars. As I recall, they arrived with a couple of different thicknesses of sleeves, which worked great.

Mine are mounted at the very end of the bars with Manic Salamander end weights insterted in the end of the bars. The Rizomas were perfect for me because many experience increased vibration with the M Bars and I wanted to add bar end weights to minimize the problem. It's worked great for me.
I know I'm really pushing my luck now, but do you have any pics of your install or close ups of the finished work? Also, did you get the bar end weights from PJ's too? Thanks for sharing :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sorry, no other photos. But the install is as easy as sliding the mirrors over the bars and tightening with a screw. The same is true of the end weights (except you slide them in the bars), which you can buy from Manic Salamander. http://www.manicsalamander.com/bar_end_weight.htm. (Mine are the old style. Not sure I like the looks of the new style 1" black end weights.)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought a pair of the stock mirrors you were talking about and put them on. It was no trouble. I don't know why they aren't listed as spare parts for a Bonneville. Maybe they don't look "retro" enough for the hardcore, but after less than a year of owning the bike, I'm pretty much over any infatuation with retro. I'm thinking of getting a two into one left side pipe (low side when parked) and a single city saddle bag for the right, so it's more convenient to commute. To me, having a Triumph is about having the bike I want, the way I want it, not fitting some stereotype of a Triumph rider. Stereotypical Triumph rider should be an oxymoron.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought a pair of the stock mirrors you were talking about and put them on. It was no trouble. I don't know why they aren't listed as spare parts for a Bonneville. Maybe they don't look "retro" enough for the hardcore, but after less than a year of owning the bike, I'm pretty much over any infatuation with retro. I'm thinking of getting a two into one left side pipe (low side when parked) and a single city saddle bag for the right, so it's more convenient to commute. To me, having a Triumph is about having the bike I want, the way I want it, not fitting some stereotype of a Triumph rider. Stereotypical Triumph rider should be an oxymoron.
Could you be a little more specific? You installed the Speed Triple bar end mirrors (7/8" bar) on what bike? Did you have to rig something up to make it work? If so, how'd you do it? Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts