Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know how to repair/rebuild everything on my bike myself. I am very proud that I do not need the dealer to do anything for me, except for one simple thing: I am frustrated because I can't replace my own tires and I'm tired of getting bent over at the dealer. I know he has to make money, but ouch! Has anyone used a home balancing system like this: http://webbikeworld.com/Reviewed-motorcycle-products/balancer/

This thing is cheap. Even if it were several hundred dollars, it would be worth it when you figure that you probably have to get 10-20 sets of tires mounted over the life of a bike and you can find them for 50% off of list on the internet.

Please share your experiences. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Its easy enough to make yoyr own cradle to sit your wheels and axles in to balance. Just use masking tape to stick on the weights until you get it right before using the adhesive on the back of the weights.
Thing is with the heavy spoked wheels of the Bonniville your balancing the wheel not the tyre. As the origional weights were put on to balance the wheel there is not much chance they will need rebalancing with new tyres due to the heavy inertia of the rims.
;)

·
Registered
177 Posts
I purchased the Marc Parnes balancer and have used it to balance several wheels. Works great with a set of jack stands (everybody owns a set right?) and a level.

Balancing wheels is the simple part…..removing & installing tires can be a bit difficult depending on the tire, however with practice, a set of tire irons, and no-mar pads to protect the rim…..it can be cost effective with a few change outs.

I mostly use the balancer for dirt bikes, and since you need to remove the wheels anyway (for best price) to take them to a shop to have them do it…..your all ready half way there so why not do it yourself?

If…..you have a shop do the tire change and then you do the balancing….it is not really cost effective, as the additional charge is only a few bucks.

http://www.marcparnes.com/

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Its easy enough to make yoyr own cradle to sit your wheels and axles in to balance. Just use masking tape to stick on the weights until you get it right before using the adhesive on the back of the weights.
Thing is with the heavy spoked wheels of the Bonniville your balancing the wheel not the tyre. As the origional weights were put on to balance the wheel there is not much chance they will need rebalancing with new tyres due to the heavy inertia of the rims.
;)
This is very accurate, according to my experience.

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
Balancing

I've never balanced my own, but I've watched an experienced friend do his, and it's an easy job, a few minutes of trial-and-error with the weights and it's finished.

I pay to have mine done--after I remove the wheel(s)--because I don't want to wrestle the tire off and on myself, although I can do it, and I have the tools. Been there, done that, don't feel like doing it again (and I have more money now).

To confirm what Amanger says, the mechanic who changed my tires said the batch of weights already on the front wheel was balancing the wheel, the new tire on it didn't need any changes or additional weight.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Cycle Gear does free balancing for life.....

and they do it whether you buy the tires there or not.... i saw that in the catalogue and now I get the tires through Dennis Kirk and mount them with dad's bead breaker and just bring them down for free balancing..... I usually find other stuff I need while I'm there so it's a smart marketing move on their part.....

·
29,945 Posts
I just balanced a few wheels myself for the first time. It is not hard, I used a pair of axle stands, and used the wheel spindle to hold the wheel. Did it just the way Dalecarlsbad describes. You can get stick on weights from Denniskirk, they are pretty cheap.

I was surprised at how straight forward changing tires with irons is, once you have the technique down. The trick is to always have the bead of the tire down in the dish of the wheel opposite where you are working.

Do a search on youtube for some excellent tire changing videos.

I won't be taking wheels to the dealer for tire changes any more - simply no need.

Excellent instructional thread on tire changing:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50717

1 - 8 of 8 Posts