Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just installed my new arrow 2in1 system on my 07 bonneville. I thought the sound was awesome but not quite as loud as I'd hoped for. I decided to remove the baffle which comes out simply by knocking off a spot welded tab and pulling out a fitting ring. With the baffle removed it is LOUD! Too loud for my neighbors even in my garage with the door closed. So the baffle has been put back in for now.

So now I am wondering if I could create the volume I'm looking for by modifying the baffle? It's pretty much a plugged pipe on one end with some holes drilled on the sides so I am considering trying to drill more holes first and eventually, if needed, chopping the end off.

Does this sound like a horrible idea? Does anyone think that this would make a difference? If it makes it sound crummy I would have to just leave it out and upset the neighbors anyway. I'm also a bit uneasy about experimenting on a $1100 piece of equipment. I haven't jetted my carbs for the new exhaust yet, so I'm also wondering if pipes usually sound any different after you do.

Thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Haven't seen anyone do this this to a higher $$ system, but is is very common for modifying the stock mufflers. I recently did it to my stockers with good results. The stock baffle on mine was basically a 2" stub pipe thru a steel disc(the baffle) that had two small, maybe 1/4" holes in it. I drilled three 1/2" holes into it to open it up. I like the results, alot.

It might be easier to experiment by drilling a hole into the end or cutting the end off versus the sides as this might be easier to weld/repair if it didn't work out like you wanted.

Sound after rejet? I don't know as mine is still stock.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

Thanks 62rag. I like your starting with the end idea.

And to mikeinva. I hear the d&d's are pretty loud too. I'm from Richmond, VA. People there are use to rednecks rippin around on loud bikes and cars with boomin bass. I live in Portland, OR now. It's a little different out here. Everyone is all PC and whatnot. I do miss the lack of rain in VA.

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
Thanks 62rag. I like your starting with the end idea.

And to mikeinva. I hear the d&d's are pretty loud too. I'm from Richmond, VA. People there are use to rednecks rippin around on loud bikes and cars with boomin bass. I live in Portland, OR now. It's a little different out here. Everyone is all PC and whatnot. I do miss the lack of rain in VA.
thats all its been doing here is rain lately. The D&DS are not that bad unless you get on it .I dont think there as load as preds where on my bike. You can just unscrew the baffle bolts and take it out on them and repack it if you want to change the sound.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The dd's definitely aren't as loud as the dominator sports/predators. I have heard that the dd 2/2s are louder though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here it is SCCTrim. Sorry the pic is so small. I just got a Mac and haven't figured it all out yet. It had ten holes in it and I just added five more. Hopefully that will make a difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
it sounds like it's made like a Harley Sportster muffler baffle
a perforated tube with a bolckage in the middle that forces the exhaust gases to go out and in the small holes around the tube
HD mufflers are easily modified by drilling a hole in the baffle plug
this increases flow and noise but not to a painfull level

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, that's exactly how it's made. It has ten holes drilled total. I just added five more last night but haven't fired it up yet to see how it sounds because I have my tank off for a paint job. I'll post again when I hear the results.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi I cut off 4 inches of the Akra baffles on my KTM 990 (other bike)as it too was very loud without any in at all :(. Cutting a bit off is better the drilling more holes as it can be welded back if required. Of corse you could only cut it if it doen't use the end as a support.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
THREAD RESURRECTION :)

Has anyone actually modified the Arrow baffles for more sound? I agree with this OP in that they are too loud sans baffles, but a bit too tame with baffles.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
What is the inside&outside dia of that long part of the baffle
Hey Richmond, Va. redneck.lol
Is there a power difference between the 2 into 1 compared to the Dominators I'm running on my bike? If so, what kind of gain did you get?
Thanks in advance
Frank

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
frank i picked up 10hp on mine going from preds I think they are worth 5 to 10 hp .What they do is take a few ft/lbs off the bottom and make a bunch of power on top.They pull real hard from 5000rpm on.You can feel it when it hits 5000 rpm its like someone hit you in the butt.They dont sound as good as your pipes .They are race pipes not pretty pipes .There cheap for a full sytem 6 something beats the heck out of 12 something.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Power Gain

Mike, my bike pulls good at 5K now. Do you mean there would be a noticeable difference with them. That sounds like a huge gain from pipes. My bike is awfully pretty for uglies, but if I could pick up another 5 HP from them, holy ****. A little ugly might be good.
Would I still see that gain, even though I haven't done the heads and Throttle bodies yet?
Later

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Yea I think you would frank go to there website look at there dyno run .When I first saw it i said bull thats not right but now I beleave it.
Yea, impressive on the dyno. Damn, they're ugly. Do you think I would get the same increase do to the design if I went with the Arrow 2 into 1 with the baffle out? I think my Bonnie would get a complex with a set of those D & Ds on her.lol
Mike, check your PM.
Frank

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Would it be crazy to ride with one baffle in and one out? Just thinking of ways to get a bit more sound without altering the exhaust.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts