Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been reading a lot of the threads on performing a bafflectomy on the standard end cans and decided to purchase in a couple of step drill bits to perform the op on my bike. Ive gone for a 4-20mm and then a 20-36mm.

Ive started on the right can with the 4-20mm and have been drilling slowly and carefully for approx 20 minutes. Ive used a light oil too to try and keep things cool...

Having read the reports of it taking 10 minutes in total per side i feel im doing something wrong...

·
Premium Member
20,739 Posts
Can't really help myself, but it would help others if you give more details of Model, year, etc as they have different sorts of silencers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Are the step drills you purchased rated for metal? They make several types for different applications. Also, check the speed of the drill setting and make sure you are using the right amount of pressure.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Do not worry about drilling too slow. I'm guessing the pipe is made of stainless. The faster you drill on stainless the harder it will become. Just take your time and apply nice even pressure. A dam of some sort around the hole will help retain oil in the area of work. If you can find one a cobalt bit will probably help you out better than the HSS. Do not bother with carbide as it is too brittle and unless you have an awesome drill press rigged up you will end up dulling them in an instant. Also specialty cutting fluid will benefit you better than a thin machine oil.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Or roll the bike somewhere so the front wheel is touching a brick wall. Apply varying pressure, from light to very firm. I personally use a hole saw, not a step drill bit. And if the very first bit size is a fairly large diameter, it will definitely take some time to first punch through, especially on this tough material. You'd definitely need to apply more pressure, enough to push your bike forward. I never do anything without the bike being parked in a chock. Adding a bit of tapping lube is a wise idea, but WD40 is fine, and quick and easy. Happy drilling.

45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All done and it sounds much better. Was being too British.. Needed more brute force :) Runs nicely.. Slight popping on the over run. Really pleased with the results... Ive also pulled the snorkel. Am I right in thinking this will upset the ecu?

·
Premium Member
20,739 Posts
Am I right in thinking this will upset the ecu?
It'll run a bit leaner, one of the reasons you're experiencing the poping in the exhaust. This means that you won't get the full benefit of the mods to increase airflow. Not so much from the mild exhaust mod, but removing the snorkel increases airflow considerably. The popping can be tamed by AI (Air injection) removal or at least disabling. You might also experience some mild hesitation when accelerating from low speeds.

This rather basic injection system has no means of adapting to increased airflow, unlike car systems fitted with an airflow meter. The airflow figures are fixed in the ECU tune maps and are determined at the development stage.

45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Absolutely no hesitation at all. I've experienced that on other bikes I've owned. My old Buell did that a lot. Guess I could block off the air hose from the air box until I can get the cable ordered from pieman to start on the ecu.

I've already pm'd him asking for info on the correct map to use and so on. Gonna get a breathe and filter ordered from him once funds allow...

Just moved house you see so spare funds keep getting taken by the missus for new curtains :-(

45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was out in rain the other day. This morning ive noted that there is rust appearing on the edge of the exhaust now where ive cut the baffle out. Any pointers or should I not be concerned?

AI removal also kit also ordered having done the marble test earlier :) I cant get hold of Pieman to order the cable required for tune ecu so the AI pump will have to stay connected for now...

·
Premium Member
20,739 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,739 Posts
Hi Plumton, sorry about that. It would seam that I haven't been alerted to PM's since the 6th October and have a pile to get through now. I will reply to your question this evening.
Alerts often go straight into the Spam bin, at least on my mail account. Not all, but about 30% of them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts