Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the forum high and low. I've found many fantastic clinics on baffleectomy for many pipes on many bikes, but not for the original stacked 3 into 2 pipes that come with the 98 TBS. I would like a bit more bass out of the existing pipes. Any suggestions/links?

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
He just posted nonsense to get the thread back to the top of the list.

As far as I know, there is no difference between the system with both mufflers on the right and that with one on each side. Just drill through the center baffle. I have both a drilled set and a set of TOR's. I can't tell much difference between the two.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I drilled out both exhausts on my Thunderbird and it sounded much better. The larger diameter the hole, the deeper the tone. Here's a video of what it sounds like. It was recorder with a cell phone so if you're listening on computer speakers or a cell phone, the sound quality is going to suck.
Video link: https://youtu.be/2guoxiQroqI

·
Registered
8 Posts
I realise that most of those interested have done this a loooong time ago. Searching for information on bafflectomy now it’s difficult to find any clear photos and the link referenced a couple of times on different threads as being full instructions no longer works. I’m trying to work out if the standard silencers (not TOR) on my 1997 Thunderbird are in stock condition. Without having anything to compare them them to, is it possible to tell wether or not they have been messed with? Have taken pictures of the insides from both front and back but it’s hard to see in there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Slowslave,

Hey guys back in the day, 96-2000, we would drill through the baffle "flap" that is in there. Toward the front I think. It looks like yours are clear. The TORs look this way also. For what ever reason the TORs sound a little better. Either way they sound better and are not obnoxious loud.

ride safe

Dan

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Thanks for asking slowslave.
I could use a little more sound from my '99 TBS with stock exhaust. If/when I do this, using a step drill, I would drill the baffle incrementally, trying a 1/2" hole, then 5/8", etc. There's a tipping point I really don't want to exceed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts