Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2017 Street Scrambler from dealership a few months ago that came with a Vance and Hines full exhaust. I'd like a little more noise, so I decided to remove the baffle. However, I cannot get this thing out.

I have removed the one screw inside the can that puts pressure on the baffle as well as 2 screws on the outside (not sure the 2 on the outside hold the baffle in). I have pulled and pulled on the baffle to get it out, but cannot. I thought about taking it off and popping it with a broom handle, but it is a full exhaust that is welded all the way to the headers.

Anyone have an ideas? It isn't budging, I must be missing something? All I've done is mash up the rim of the baffle.

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
I presume you’ve broken the tab and removed the circlip?
Or maybe it’s different for SS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
I purchased a 2017 Street Scrambler from dealership a few months ago that came with a Vance and Hines full exhaust. I'd like a little more noise, so I decided to remove the baffle. However, I cannot get this thing out.

I have removed the one screw inside the can that puts pressure on the baffle as well as 2 screws on the outside (not sure the 2 on the outside hold the baffle in). I have pulled and pulled on the baffle to get it out, but cannot. I thought about taking it off and popping it with a broom handle, but it is a full exhaust that is welded all the way to the headers.

Anyone have an ideas? It isn't budging, I must be missing something? All I've done is mash up the rim of the baffle.
There are two versions of both the V&H slip-on and the full system; one with a removal baffle/dB killer and one without. Having said that, the fact that you have the screws, one inside carbon fibre cap and 2 that hold the cap in place suggests you have the former.

But something doesn't quite ring true - the full V&H system, i.e. the one without the cat, is held together with springs, so saying it's welded does not make sense. The full system mounts on the upper shock mount and has silver heat protection, the slip-on, using the original exhaust up front mounts to an SS specific mount on the frame and has silver and black heat shields. But the V&H slip on is not welded either, there are clamps under the heat shield.

A picture would help confirm which you have and what's going on there...

The broom handle in from the other end is the right approach to remove the dB killer. It starts life as being wrapped in plastic on the steel wool sound deadening which melts off and makes for an effective glue making it really hard to pull the insert out. Knocking from the inside out will do the trick.

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is the exhuast: https://imgur.com/a/BE4J8uO

I attempted to push it out with a broom and all I did was get the broom stuck. Got the broom out, but I can't see any way of getting the baffle out... It is in there good. Can't believe there is a screw to hold this thing it. Not even needed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm wondering how to go about this as well since I began contemplating removing the baffle this morning. Took a look at the exhaust and decided to hit the internet to see if anyone had removed it before. I don't remember if the exhaust came with any instructions when I purchased it, I will have to go digging to see if I can find anything. I'll let you know if I turn anything up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I finally got it out. I had to get the help of a friend because it is nearly impossible to get enough force on it by yourself. Someone needs to sit on the bike and hold the brakes so the other person can pull.

I warmed up the bike for about 5 minutes then my friend used 2 vice grip locking pliers to pull the baffle out. Using 1 pair probably won't work, you'll need two as you need to use both hands. Also, someone needs to be holding the brakes on the bike while the other pulls. Can't do it with just one arm and if you use two, you'll just pull the bike back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I finally got it out. I had to get the help of a friend because it is nearly impossible to get enough force on it by yourself. Someone needs to sit on the bike and hold the brakes so the other person can pull.

I warmed up the bike for about 5 minutes then my friend used 2 vice grip locking pliers to pull the baffle out. Using 1 pair probably won't work, you'll need two as you need to use both hands. Also, someone needs to be holding the brakes on the bike while the other pulls. Can't do it with just one arm and if you use two, you'll just pull the bike back.
how many screws you have to remove before put baffle out? I also tried removing baffle, it’s seem to me impossible.
I really want to this thing out. I search youtube and google cannot find any instructions. If u can help me out, i will be appreciate!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts