Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A thought...and a question. I know that 18" long drill bits can be had. Would I acheive some better sound from stock '09 Thruxton silencers if I simply drilled a number of holes through the baffle plates - but leaving the end of the cone intact?
Any thought on this?

·
Premium Member
7,041 Posts
A thought...and a question. I know that 18" long drill bits can be had. Would I acheive some better sound from stock '09 Thruxton silencers if I simply drilled a number of holes through the baffle plates - but leaving the end of the cone intact?
Any thought on this?
have tried this during the week but with bad weather and other commitments haven't had a chance to ride the bike since I did it to comment on the 'tone' and performance results.

Used a cheap pair of mufflers off ebay

see my comments on technique on other thread:
http://www.triumphrat.net/club-cafe/98278-thruxton-stock-bafflectomy-2.html

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when'd ya get a Thrux Dave? How do you like the EFI?
Bought it about two weeks ago. EFI? Eh, think I'd rather have carburetors, largely because I understand them a little, but the bike runs smooth with much better speed increase. Seventy mph to ninety mph in seconds. It is a BLAST to ride!

Thanks jonkster. Trying to spend no money on a new bike - don't want to push my luck with the missus!

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
That is a nice looking bike BTW.......on to the exhaust cans....won't you still have those tiny outlet holes for the exhaust to pass thru? I'm thinking that would be as much a restriction as the baffles.....but what do I know?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Think you are right, billbikes, from what I am hearing elsewhere; that end cap would have to come off.
Heck, I may as well just do it so if someone else asks I can provide an answer! :D

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
you can take an angle grinder and grind around the edge of the end of the can and remove the end piece to make it wide-Fin-open. Rodburner has done this before. If you go slow and keep the heat down it won't discolor. I don't know how this will effect the efi though...computers?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts