Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I really like the MassMoto Mohave exhaust on my 04 Bonneville, but I'm stuck between "baffles or no baffles". It's a bit too loud without baffles, and a bit too muted with them in.

I'm hoping for a middle ground (call me goldilocks) but don't want to ruin the baffles. I butchered a Zard Low Cross baffle one time, and trying to source a replacement was near impossible...

If I drill some holes in the end cap of the baffle, will that likely give me the middle sound ground I'm looking for? If so, I'm guessing that holes roughly the same size is preferred?

It seems straight forward to me, but wanted to give opportunity for someone with more experience, or more knowledgable about baffles and back pressure to chime in before I start my usual "hack first and ask questions later" MO... :grin2:

My guess is that if I hate the mod, I could always weld a round plate over the new holes to be back at stock?

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
That's the sound!

If I drill some holes in the end cap of the baffle, will that likely give me the middle sound ground I'm looking for? If so, I'm guessing that holes roughly the same size is preferred?

My guess is that if I hate the mod, I could always weld a round plate over the new holes to be back at stock?
I wouldn't hesitate. Start with some small holes, and try to deburr them as much as possible. Then work your way into perfection. As you said, it would be easy to reverse.

Charles

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Saw the bigger hole theory too late.

Just got back in from the garage... Started with 6 3/16" holes. Wasn't bad, but went to 10 holes and that's better. It sounds real nice "in the driveway" but of course I'll have to re-evaluate after a real ride with helmet on and such.

Thanks for the wisdom fellas!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts