Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just bought an owners handbook for a 1973 BSA Thunderbolt T65, out of curiosity. I've never seen one of these - anyone know how many were made or any other info about them? The photo in the book shows a 'breadbin' UK style tank with the Triumph design (can't tell colour as B&W pic) and BSA badges. The only other visible difference is that it has the better TLS brake, as per the Daytonas and pre-OIF 650s. It is a single carb head.

The photo is too small to tell whether the triangular patent plate on the timing cover is a normal Triumph one, or one with the BSA logo.

·
Premium Member
9,500 Posts
Bsa had a contract to supply some bikes overseas but had gone t*ts up by then so triumph built the bikes but stuck BSA badges on it. Afaik they are rare but don't know about valuable as bsa owners probably think they are not "real" BSAs and ditto triumph. Nigeria rings a bell.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Yes, it fixed the long time problem with BSA timing side crank bushing wear.:D

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good clear photo on that thread Dave. But the bike has lost its patent plate (maybe the owner removed it because it said Triumph?).

I'd quite like one, but I personally wouldn't value one any higher than a TR6 from the same era (well, maybe a couple of hundred more for the better brake). They're about as much BSA as the T50 (is that what they were called) is a Triumph, and probably as rare?

·
Premium Member
9,500 Posts
I am not sure if they had a triumph plate to start?
The alternator inspection cover was made as BSA so I would think that if there was a plate, it would have said BSA as well.

Somewhere on britbike is a thread

·
6,418 Posts
Hi John,

I've just bought an owners handbook for a 1973 BSA Thunderbolt T65
The photo in the book shows a 'breadbin' UK style tank with the Triumph design
The only other visible difference is that it has the better TLS brake, as per the Daytonas and pre-OIF 650s.
They're essentially oif TR6R's - if you look at the picture(s) again, you'll see the pre-conical brake is mounted in oif/conical forks - with, as mentioned, BSA badges on the tank and alternator cover; iirc, the patent plate has neither "Triumph" nor "BSA" on it? The picture is 'in colour' - the tanks were originally Black and White. :)

how many were made
While I've heard and read rumours of them going elsewhere, the only ones I know of for definite are the 269(?) made for the South Australia and Northern Territory police. There was also a batch exactly the same (pre-conical front brake in conical forks) except badged as Triumphs for the NSW police.

There's also a parts book for 'em, although some details (e.g. the special front brake anchor bits) can be a little difficult to follow because it doesn't have the usual exploded drawings.

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
now this may be complete nonsense -- BUT was there some tie up where Yamaha XS750 triples had triumph badges back in the 70s? -- or was it a dream I had ?

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a great video. Doesn't hold the still long though - I doubt I'd be able to read some of those captions if they were in English, but very good pictures. I notice its a standard Triumph patent plate he's fitting, and I get the impression he's the kind of bloke to do a job properly. I wonder if he's the chap I've read about who reportedly has a brilliant motorcycle museum somewhere between Zaragoza and Barcelona? I'm hoping to find it next summer, so I'll see the T65 then if it is him.

The T65 pictured in my handbook clearly does have a patent plate, and using my magnifying glass I reckon it does have the Triumph logo. Like I said, very few differences visible from timing side view between the T65 and a single carb OIF Triumph of the period, the badging (is that a word?) and the front brake/hub being everything.

Triumph badged XS 750s though? Was it the April edition of Bike magazine?

·
6,418 Posts
Hi Wol,

was there some tie up where Yamaha XS750 triples had triumph badges back in the 70s?
I believe you're thinking of the putative tie-up between NVT and Yamaha that would've seen certain Yamaha models badged as Nortons, initially to sell into the police market as Commandos and Triumphs reached the end of their service lives. Iirc, the initial models proposed were the XS750 - which the police testers rejected as too heavy - and the XS650 engine in a development of the Isolastic frame.

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
No it wasn't a dream - nor was it in Aprils Bike mag -- Did some searching to prove to myself that I wasn't going nuts !
found a bit of info on it --- in 1977 yamaha and NVT got together to make 750cc police bikes -- at least one got out of the factory as i remember seeing it in private hands riding round Brum many years ago - I may wrong in it having a triumph badge on a white tank - As Stuartmac says it may have been a Norton badge ( i think every thing else was 750 triple Yammy)---- just another desperate bid to survive I think

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kinda glad these re-badging ideas never got any further. Better for the classic names to have passed into history with some dignity than artificially sustaining their names on Japanese bikes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts