Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was about ready to throw put a good leather jacket I use in the winter. I was 100 miles from home and could not get it zipped up after a stop. Finally I did and rode home.

When I got home I sprayed it with aerosol chain wax. Now the zipper works every time.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
<BR>Now we need a post on how to maintain a zipper, and what chain lube is the right one to use....

[ This message was edited by: wenzel850 on 2007-01-23 13:39 ]

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have always used bar soap to fix a balky zipper. Works great and less messy than liquids or aerosols.

See this month's MCN for an article on replacing zippers.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read that article very carefully, I will be doing that someday.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I agree with bar soap, works great. Next time you go to a motel keep one of the little bars of soap and put it in your pocket for "those" times when zippers are picky.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Make sure you lube the zipper every 5000 steps. And clean it once every 3 or 4 lubes with keroscene.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Jesus! Not another broken zipper/zipper lubrication thread! Don't you guys know to search the archives and the back issues of Torque before resurrecting this hoary old topic?

Oops! I thought I was on the BMW owners list. Never mind.
;-)

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I have a leather jacket that's been with me for about six years now...... so I thought I'd try some of my chain wax on the zippers too.

I'm actually sorry I did now. The zipper works no better, stickier/slower in fact, and I'm still cleaning some of that blue-white muck off my jacket.

Wish I woulda read about the bar soap first.... that's one of them age old remedies what been around fer decades now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts