Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
07' Bonneville
Arrow 2 in 1

I've noticed that I get a rattling noise when I really roll back on the throttle in 1st and 2nd gear. More so in 1st and then lessens in 2nd. Almost like a tin can pitch. Can't figure out where it comes from and doesn't do so when I'm off the bike and revving in neutral. If I had to guess I'd say it was coming from the headers. I checked and they're on tight and don't remember this noise with the stock pipes. It sounds bad. Any reason to be alarmed here?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Check your mounts very closely for tightness and for anything broken/cracked. I would suspect there is a problem with the lower mounts, but the muffler to header connection or the muffler mounts to the frame could also be causing your problem. Also, check your header to head mounting for tightness and leaks.

IMHO, when installing a complete exhaust system, everything should be installed loose and the fit checked closely before tightening everything starting with the header to head connection first. New gaskets and silicone are a must, IMHO, for a good fit and seal.

Good luck,

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check your mounts very closely for tightness and for anything broken/cracked. I would suspect there is a problem with the lower mounts, but the muffler to header connection or the muffler mounts to the frame could also be causing your problem. Also, check your header to head mounting for tightness and leaks.

IMHO, when installing a complete exhaust system, everything should be installed loose and the fit checked closely before tightening everything starting with the header to head connection first. New gaskets and silicone are a must, IMHO, for a good fit and seal.

Good luck,
Thanks for the advise. I thought about it and I bet I know where the noise is coming from. The headers have two little springs that hold the main pipes to the y joint. I'm probably getting some reverb off them. If that's the case, I could wrap them with some exhaust wrap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts