Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
the basis is not in rehabilitation over time, but in the unfairness of having to defend against accusations years or decades later when witnesses or other defenses are impossible to gather.
With that reasoning aren't we then operating on the assumption of guilty until proven innocent? I though it was the prosecutions job to come up with the evidence of guilt? So it took 7 years, in this case, to come up with evidence, shouldn't he be tried on this evidence?

I'm not trying to start an arguement. I'm just really trying to understand the statute of limitations and this reason just doesn't make logical sense to me (though we know law and logic are not necessarily tied together :rolleyes:).

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
He cuts off her allowance and she posts the vid. Real winners all around. These people are gross. I hope there aren't other kids involved, though I would guess his wife takes it like a woman, so this is most definitely not an isolated incident.

·
Premium Member
5,053 Posts
the basis is not in rehabilitation over time, but in the unfairness of having to defend against accusations years or decades later when witnesses or other defenses are impossible to gather.
The following is a direct quote from an information brief to the Minnesota Legislature in 2010 that provides an overview of criminal statutes of limitations in general and describes Minnesota’s criminal statute of limitations. This being the primary consideration.

There is less need for a criminal sanction against a person who demonstrates rehabilitation by remaining law-abiding for some time.

The citation follows:​

See ROBINSON, supra note 1, at 466; see also Note, Barrier to Prosecution, supra note 5, at 634 (stating that

“...those persons who have committed crimes in the distant past and have not repeated their errors are apparently
self-rehabilitated and as a result seem to offer little cause for fear as to their future conduct. The pursuit of only
more recent criminals is consistent with that aim of criminal law which seeks to rehabilitate wrongdoers and serves

to free the citizen from vexatious fear of prosecution for old crimes.”).

21 - 23 of 23 Posts