Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having idle issues with my 2012 Storm. It has about 4100 miles on it.

It hasn't been ridden in about 5 months. went out about two weeks ago to start it and the battery was dead. I have since gotten a battery Tender and it is now charged and the bike starts easily.

Went to go for a ride yesterday and it idles at about 600 rpm, almost dies. A friend of mine said that is most likely bad/old gas. He suggested draining the old gas and putting some Seafoam cleaner in the tank. I siphoned as much of the gas out as I could (about 3 gallons, it was full) and added the Seafoam. (I have not ridden through that tank yet)

The bike ran perfect the last time I rode it so I'm assuming it is the gas also. Is there anything else this could be? I have Hog Slayers and K&N air filter on the bike, with a Power Commander, this was added at about 2000 miles so it's ran great with those mods.

Thanks!
Michael

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
My daughter let her lawn tractor sit the winter after using one tank of 10% ethanol gas. Come spring, it wouldn't run, and when I took it apart, the rubber on the diaphragm in the carb was completely shot!
If I'm not 100% certain that I'll use a tank in 2-3 weeks (VERY rare, even in winter) I'll put ethanol free gas in it. There are also some treatment products that are available to counteract the disastrous effects of ethanol.

Hope it's not too serious.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If the Seafoam doesn't work, it may be the programming. It should be "firmware" (I think that's the right term) with the PC5, but if something went out of whack when the battery died, that could easily cause it. Triumphs and PC5s don't always get along well at the best of times. The reason I say this is your idle speed - I've got the Predators and the Arrow tune on mine and it rarely drops below 1000 RPM at idle.

Run through your tank and see if that helps, but you may have to get the bike hooked back up to a computer to firm things up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the Seafoam doesn't work, it may be the programming. It should be "firmware" (I think that's the right term) with the PC5, but if something went out of whack when the battery died, that could easily cause it. Triumphs and PC5s don't always get along well at the best of times. The reason I say this is your idle speed - I've got the Predators and the Arrow tune on mine and it rarely drops below 1000 RPM at idle.

Run through your tank and see if that helps, but you may have to get the bike hooked back up to a computer to firm things up.
Thanks, I did hook it up to my laptop and reapplied the map to the PC, thinking (but not knowing) that the dead battery affected it. If the Seafoam doesn't help I guess I'll have to take it in.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Had some bad gas while on a trip once. Found the best remedy is to stop next to a grassy meadow and go lay down on your left side!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Had some bad gas while on a trip once. Found the best remedy is to stop next to a grassy meadow and go lay down on your left side!!
LMAO!! :rofl:rofl:rofl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts