Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I,m putting a new breather on my crank case. I go to put the hose on the nipple on the case itself and...........the friggin nipple pushes into the case and dissapears. F**K!!!!! Who designed this piece of S**T!!!! You have got to be kidding me!!! Now I have to pull off the cover and fish this thing out of my motor. Is it just my luck or has this happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
So, I,m putting a new breather on my crank case. I go to put the hose on the nipple on the case itself and...........the friggin nipple pushes into the case and dissapears. F**K!!!!! Who designed this piece of S**T!!!! You have got to be kidding me!!! Now I have to pull off the cover and fish this thing out of my motor. Is it just my luck or has this happened to anyone else?
Many enjoy fishing. :D

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
man i feel for you you need to hold the nipple while pushing the hose the only thing holding it is a o-ring it is a bad design thats why they dont use it anymore.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
man i feel for you you need to hold the nipple while pushing the hose the only thing holding it is a o-ring it is a bad design thats why they dont use it anymore.
Thanks, Mike. Man, I wish I knew that a couple hours ago.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
You have bent the "breather pipe" inside the side cover. Take your time when you are inside doing the fixing. You may have to remove the breather pipe in order to straighten it properly without causing more problems. Be careful removing the seal and you can reuse it--otherwise purchase a new one.

Don't forget to drain the oil before you start, and put something under the side cover area to catch or absorb the oil that spills out when you remove the side cover.

A shop manual is very valuable about now--pictures are worth a thousand words or something like that. There is a good picture in the clutch section of my Triumph Service Manual.

Good luck,

·
Registered
623 Posts
Yep it happened to me!

·
Registered
623 Posts
You have bent the "breather pipe" inside the side cover. Take your time when you are inside doing the fixing. You may have to remove the breather pipe in order to straighten it properly without causing more problems. Be careful removing the seal and you can reuse it--otherwise purchase a new one.

Don't forget to drain the oil before you start, and put something under the side cover area to catch or absorb the oil that spills out when you remove the side cover.

A shop manual is very valuable about now--pictures are worth a thousand words or something like that. There is a good picture in the clutch section of my Triumph Service Manual.

Good luck,
He did no bent the breather pipe inside, because there is no breather pipe inside of his primary cover.
Your message applies to early model style crankcase breather ( 01-04).
His bike is the latest ,current crankcase breather system that NOT has an inside primary cover breather pipe.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Thanks for that enlightenment.:) Is the later style an improvement? I have had the breather hose on and off mine a few times with no problems.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts