Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY brakes were (after bedding in ) pretty ***** good,but gradually became almost dangerous, with the leaver coming
right back to the bar almost.
Took it back to my dealer, and they changed the brake master cylinder seal kit. Hey presto back to good again, but
it seems to be going into a state of decline again.
Why won't Triumph use Brembo brakes, because they actually work properly unlike those nissin things they are bolting to the Speed triple.

They should recall them :evil:

·
Registered
583 Posts
wow, your right, i don't think any of us have ever heard about this before,, you should call triumph about it, i bet they will recall as soon as they get word.

·
Registered
700 Posts
On 2006-11-18 12:27, jrussell6 wrote:
wow, your right, i don't think any of us have ever heard about this before,, you should call triumph about it, i bet they will recall as soon as they get word.
:gooff: "> :cuss: :kck:

Even I'm not that big of jerk, and that is very impressive.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've experienced the long lever travel too. It did it right off the bat when I bought it. I've been cleaning the sides of the pistons with brake clean, then prying the pads out, and then pumping them back in several times now. It would work for at least 100-200 miles and then the excess travel would begin again. It would last progressively longer each time I would do it though. Well now after 6K or 7K mi. I don' t remember the last time I did them, and don't think I'll need to do them again. I think the issue is tight seals on the caliper pistons. So after repeated movement back and forth, they loosen up and work correctly.

·
Registered
583 Posts
sorry for my jerkidness, but we all know about this,, yes, it's the pistons,,and yes like 3forme said if you push pads it's good for a little while then fades back to long travel, personally i've never had any problem stopping quickly so i don't really care, plus i ride over a hundred miles a day every day at least, on a sunday i'll usually try to put in 300 or so miles, so pushing my pads back every 150 miles is far too annoying..

so far the fixes that work are.....
waiting for the seals to loosen up after a few thousand miles as described by 3forme
replacing stock piston's with either 675 pistons or 07 s3 pistons.
replace stock brake calipers and master cylander with gixxer 1000's,, almost a direct swap. (from what i can tell no-one who has done this wan't pleased.)

part of my pissyness is in fact displaced anger towards tiumph,, they know about it and fixed it on new ones, and have helped some people but shafted others. your right, they should recall, but this is somethign that has been discussed on this board over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. this is the only brake thread i've actually taken part in, but go search are read the rest of em. from contacting the dot, to dhs to consumer services to letter's to protest's it's all been done. don't worry triumph doesn't give a*****.

·
Registered
969 Posts
:roflmoa2:
JR you kill me. by the way you forgot a couple of overs in that last post.

Although there are issues with the brakes people still love the bike. I'd like to change mine, but it's not on the top of the list. IMO the bike stops fine, I do use three fingers instead of two to avoid pinching, but it stops fine and that's probably why Triumph won't do anything about it. I'm sure they told Nissin to fix it or else.

( my 7mo old decided to help me type, hope I found all the errors...)

[ This message was edited by: Triple_Rider on 2006-11-19 11:27 ]

·
Registered
711 Posts
Triple Rider, there is not a mistake that could be made nor one noted by others when your fortunate enough to have that kind of helper.

Good on you Dad! Trust me, all that stuff they tell you about them growing up before you know it is true. I'm glad my folks supported motorcycling as part of family activities when I was growing up.

jr, it's just mind over matter. Triumph doesn't mind and you (we) don't matter.

Cheers, ride safe.
BobW
:-D

·
Registered
885 Posts
On 2006-11-19 11:25, Triple_Rider wrote:
( my 7mo old decided to help me type, hope I found all the errors...)
There IS a "Check Spelling" button 2 to the right of the "Submit" which works very well..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts