Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my 96 Trophy 900 several years back to a friend of mine. He let it sit over the winter, and when spring came along it needed a new battery. He went to the local auto parts store and showed the battery to them. They proceeded to sell him an identical battery except the positive and negative terminals were opposite. When he installed the battery, and turned on the switch, somehow everything worked. When he turned the motor over it just would not start. After investigating the problem, he realized what had happened, got the right battery, yet it still failed to start. The carbs had just been rebuilt a week prior to this, and the year before the engine was completely rebuilt by our local dealer. Now after years of it sitting an a shed disassembled and receiving plenty of cosmetic damage, he has given up. I always loved that bike, and it holds sentimental value to me. I rode that bike from central Virginia to Cancun Mexico and back. What do you think the most likely fried part is? Also what would be a fair price for a rough looking, disassembled, and missing a few parts (mirrors, turn signals, and crank position sensor) 96 Trophy?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I do mean the pick up coil. That was the last thing he was trying to get tested, and it was lost somewhere along the way. I haven't actually worked on the bike since I sold it to him, but I believe it is not getting spark. I just want possibilities to see how much it would cost to get running again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Without a pick up coil there will be no spark. A new pick up coil is about $80. Cross you fingers that hooking up the battery backwards didn't affect the igniter, because that's about $800. But I think you'd blow a fuse before the igniter, so I'd bet with a new pick up you'll be running again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a way to test the igniter before I buy the bike back from him? If the igniter is bad, the only way I'll take the bike back is if it's free. It would cost far too much to get it road worthy again compared to its value. On the other hand, this guy is a friend of mine, and I want to give him a fair price for it. From what I know to be wrong with the bike now, assuming I do all the wrenching, it will cost me about $1000 in parts and paint. Add in the igniter and that is over the total value of the bike in good condition. So you see it is kinda important for me to know what I'm getting in to with this project.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
As Forchetto so succinctly said in his posting in the Twins Forum, its a little geeky, but you can check the pickup coil (and the little known part...the igniter output channels) with inexpensive LED's from Radio Shack. Both techniques use the same premise.

Read both of these threads

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tec...l-crank-position-sensor-nerdy-and-boring.html

http://www.triumphrat.net/t3-sport-touring-forum/159824-diy-valve-job.html#post1749706

For the video showing the flashing LED's on the coils, and with regard to the Trophy, you can do a couple of things. One would be to do as Forchetto has done and use back to back LED's so that polarity isn't important, meaning you can hook them to the coil in either direction and one or the other LED will light. The other way is to simply be aware of which wire going to the coil is positive and whch one is negative. I did the video on my Sprint, so the instructions I gave for inserting the LED's and which wire the anode and cathode go to are specific to the Sprint ...depending on the year model, the wiring colors may not match up on the Trophy (but i think they do for the 900).

If the LED's flash as you're cranking the engine, that circuit (pickup coil or igniter channel output) is working correctly. If they dont flash when testing the coils, it doesn't mean that the igniter is bad...it could simply be a safety interlock that is malfunctioning. If the LED's flash, the igniter is working AND the safety interlocks are all in the RUN position, meaning if it wont start, its not an electrical problem...you've got a fueling problem.

You should be able to get the LED's at Radio Shack.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have never had the starter off on my Trophy...knock on wood, but plenty of automotive starters.
Isn't there a "Bendix" on the starter? That would ONLY extend if the starter is turning in the correct direction? The starter motor doesn't care which direction the power is coming from, but the Bendix does. So if the wires are backward the starter would turn, but not the engine, because the Bendix would not extend.

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts