Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pick up my new Scrambler next week and am looking for a not-ridiculously-expensive backpack to wear around town, on the way to work, or if I wanna go visit friends for a night or two.

I just moved to a new town for a job (which let me buy the bike) and it's incredibly boring, so my plan is to live in the office M-F and then disappear on the bike on weekends.

Eventually the snow will come and i'll deal with my reality then.

Thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I went to my local Big-5 sporting good store and picked up an el cheapo for about 15 bucks. Nothing special, carries my lunch, a lock and other stuff. It works.

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Kriegas are the state of the art for purpose built motorcycle backpacks. If you're on a budget, simply stitching on a waist belt to any cheap backpack will make it heaps more secure and comfortable while riding.

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
I use the Jansport I used in high school. I also strap it down instead of wearing it to aid riding comfort.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have the largest size Crumpler satchel style bag. I love it!

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
You may want to spend a little more and look at MaxPedition Back Packs. They are designed for hard use and are very well thought out compartment wise.

Yes, Yes... I know they are "Tactical" packs but they all come like Model Ts - Black.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Backpack wise I highly recommend going to a local camping backpacking store. REI, Gander MTN or whatever you have nearby. those bags are designed to be waterproof in most cases and can really take some weight.

I usually take one of the cargo nets with me and strap it onto the seat right behind me. I've done a camping trip this way and had a tent Backpacking style sleeping bag, sleeping pad clothes, jacket. After camp was set up a few cases of beer even strap on pretty easy, just watch the turns.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My wife and I have these. They are great and have a section for your laptop if you need to carry one to and from work.

The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of a chest strap to take some of the pressure off of your shoulders. They are fairly inexpensive I think I paid around $20-30?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I use a pack similar to this one that I picked up at a local surplus store for $6. It's been 5 years with no problems.

It fits the classy look of the bike.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I don't like to ride around with a backpack... So if I'm going camping (or need to carry E&E stuff for the weekend), I stuff it in a waterproof bag that gets buggied up on the rear rack.

I use the 35L model.

Eventually, I'll fix the rack to accept my H&B hard case... but that's another project (on the list of things to do)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I carry a swiss army brand backpack and have never had a issue.. looking for something like a cross body bag that isn't as large and i can secure it to the bike while riding. some of the fiberglass type backpacks are good as well for not getting them caught in the wind and dragging you away.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
I've got an AXIO Swift. Nice pack but it doesn't work for me on my Thruxton. With the Clipon Bars the back of my helmet hits the pack unless I loosen the pack so it sits lower (where it doen't feel secure). Also I can barely fit in my Jacket and Chaps... takes some pressure to get it zipped up.

I'm looking at the Maxpedition Monsoon. 400 cu.in. more space, cross body carry (will eliminate helmet problem) and PALS webbing to add additional pouches.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts