Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
71 120
Hi,
Today I put he tank back in after lining it (POR 15)
I put a few litres of fuel in and went to start it. It banged and popped, so I played with the carb idle settings. It got worse and was doing some horrendous flame throwing.

The things that changed since it last ran well (4 days ago)
- fuel tank lined
- adjusted intake rockers
- adjusted them again
-checked them when hot
-checked exhaust rockers with feeler guage
-messed with the carb
Oh and unplugged the boyer wires accidentally somewhere under the frame then replugged them ... well. Then after the problems tried them the other way around. Then put them back the way they were.
I also read some past posts, and retarded the (boyer) ignition a few increments, but to no affect. There was still small explosions happening through the carbs and big ones in the right pipe.

questions.........
1) can relining the tank make a small amount of fuel extra volatile to the point where it causes massive backfiring?

2) The only way my valves could be wrongly adjusted is if they are too loose. There is definite movement when closed so they are not too tight. Can too such a fine error (maybe 25%) cause such chaos?

cheers
derek

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Get this..
I had a dodgy spark plug. I had put new ngkB6es in there a couple of weeks ago and they were fine.
I just re-installed some kind of sooty old bosh one that was in the bike when I bought it and the idle rpm went up by 1000 and stopped backfiring.

Of course there is a faint possibility that when I briefly took a spanner to the inlet manifold that it stopped a leak making me think it was the plug. I guess I could loosen it off again and find out. Maybe after I make it home from work.

derek

1 - 2 of 2 Posts