Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, I will be picking up a 2001 Sprint ST in a day or so. I just snagged it with only 3k on the clock :D. It's British Racing Green and looks like it just came out of the show room! I'm getting a brand new Sargent seat with it but need to add a back rest or maybe a matching top box for my wife when we are two up. Does anyone know if such items are still available from anywhere and if so from where could I get them? I've been doing some 'googling' to no avail so far. I know Corbin do a set up but since I have the opportunity for the Sargent I would like to use it.

Many thanks, Doug.

·
Registered
10 Posts
SW-Motech Alu Rack

Twisted Throttle carries the German made SW-Motech Alu Rack top rack. The Alu Rack can be purchased with quick release adapters that can take Givi, Hepco Becker, Trax--pretty much anyone's top box, or a rack for soft luggage/tents, etc. The Givi boxes can be purchased with backrests. I used this exact set up for my 2001 Sprint ST, and bought another Alu Rack for my 2007 Sprint ST. Works great and very well made.

Hi Folks, I will be picking up a 2001 Sprint ST in a day or so. I just snagged it with only 3k on the clock :D. It's British Racing Green and looks like it just came out of the show room! I'm getting a brand new Sargent seat with it but need to add a back rest or maybe a matching top box for my wife when we are two up. Does anyone know if such items are still available from anywhere and if so from where could I get them? I've been doing some 'googling' to no avail so far. I know Corbin do a set up but since I have the opportunity for the Sargent I would like to use it.

Many thanks, Doug.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Top boxes and backrests

If you are thinking of a top box with a backrest, I suggest you try the box on its own first. On my Bandit I had a Givi V46 box and my wife thought a backrest might be a good idea. I bought the Givi item and it pushed her forward so far I had to take it off again. Well over 30GBP for a bit of stiff foam! It went straight onto eBay. Try the box alone for comfort first. You may not need a backrest at all.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Gridsprinter, I'll check out Twisted Throttle. I must admit I would prefer to try a simple backrest first but it doesn't appear anyone (outside Corbin) makes them so the top box option would be my plan B.

·
Registered
446 Posts
givvi makes nice cases but if i had to do it again i would buy the coo cases from twisted throttle for cost and useability as the givvi cas top allwase falls down when im loading it but the coo cases do not allegedly :)

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Twisted Throttle carries the German made SW-Motech Alu Rack top rack. The Alu Rack can be purchased with quick release adapters that can take Givi, Hepco Becker, Trax--pretty much anyone's top box, or a rack for soft luggage/tents, etc. The Givi boxes can be purchased with backrests. I used this exact set up for my 2001 Sprint ST, and bought another Alu Rack for my 2007 Sprint ST. Works great and very well made.
I was a fan of the SW Motech mounting hardware until the bolts gave way and I arrived home sans V46 top box. Admittedly it was on the bike for a lot of miles and I regularly checked and applied loktite to the bolts. Theres a lot of stress by just attaching the bracket to the grab rail.

I now have the GIVI mounting hardware with a new V46 top case.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Top Box Hardware

fnscotsman,

I can attest to the SW Motech mounting hardware. I used it to attach a GIVI MAXI (52 litre) which is LARGE, and it worked great. I would not go any bigger than the V46 now, as I think it's a better look for the Sprint. I used mine for about 25,000 miles with no problems.
My girlfriend loved it after I removed the HARD foam backrest for the same reasons Black Dog mentioned.

Good riding to you,
roadduster2:)

·
Registered
2,648 Posts

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
The factory luggage for the 99-04 series is/was excellent. It needed a bit of work around the hinge brackets to make waterproof, but otherwise works well.

The boxes pop up on ebay from time to time, but I haven't seen the complete bracket system for sale. I guess you could fabricate it if you got hold of the exploded diagram.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Triumph top case

I got lucky and just bought a complete Triumph bracket, rack and top case for my 99 Sprint off ebay a few days ago. I will need to paint the infill Tornado Red to match my bike. It is on its way from the east coast. I may fit it with a custom backrest as i heard the factory one is hard as a rock.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
The used ones will be keyed differently than your other locks. Can the lock cylinder be removed and replaced easily?

·
Registered
284 Posts
The used ones will be keyed differently than your other locks. Can the lock cylinder be removed and replaced easily?
I am being given the key to the top box. It would be nice if all my locks used one key. I have three now and will have four keys when I get the top box.

·
Registered
446 Posts
take it to a lock smith and for $5 they will key it to your current locks .. i did 5 boxes for $20 lol its nice havign one key

·
Registered
446 Posts
its one piece ... just paint the whole thing

·
Registered
284 Posts
I took a good look at it and i see that now. Thanks! I started sanding and i filled in some of the deep scratches (gouges) with plastic filler. After i sand, i will prime and paint it the factory red.

·
Registered
446 Posts
nice.. all on mine are painted lol .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts