Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's getting into winter again here and I'm starting to have the same cold-starting problem I had last winter...

I was talking to someone about it and they started to talk about the exhaust they have not giving any back-pressure and so moisture has given him grief with combustion sometimes...

My issue is that the starter goes but when it comes time for the engine to fire, it just dies, ECU resets and is ready for me to try again...

I have Chain Reaction high-mounts fitted, straight-through, no baffles...

Could anyone add any weight to the theory about moisture or how my exhaust might be related to my cold-starting problems?

I'm going to try covering the end of the pipes overnight and keep my fingers crossed...

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Deja Vu

Something similar happened to me tonight in the cold after we stopped for a drink. ECU seemed to reset and I had another go. It started ok then, but that had never happened before.

Oh yeah, I have the Chain Reaction High Mounts!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Southern hemisphere + chain reaction high mounts = trouble :D
I get the feeling you know something I don't..? :(

If it was a cold=moisture issue, would it be as simple as covering the end of the pipes at night to solve it? ...I'll try tonight...

·
Registered
453 Posts
I was just giving you trouble! Those are 2 things you guys both have in common.
I've seen a bunch of guys with 4 stroke quads and dirt bikes have back-pressure issues. They all remove the baffle from the exhaust to get a loud bike, but they don't adjust the tune. Their plugs foul and the bikes run like crap.
I can't imagine moisture being the problem -- it seems it would have to be moisture in the cylinder and your bike would crank through that.
If you think it's a back-pressure issue, do this: Next time you have the problem, have someone cap the end of you silencer with their hand and then crank again. Their hand will supply back pressure. If it immediately cranks, maybe this is the issue. Seriously. Here's a story -- last summer 2 kids were stuck on a gravel road with a 4 stroke yamaha quad that wouldn't start. When they cranked, it was obvious from the sound that they'd removed the baffle and there was zero backpressure. I had one kid use this trick and the other kid cranked, and the quad started right up.
What do your plugs look like? If your tune doesn't match the physical setup of the bike, they should show issues.
Is your battery fully charged? I'm not 100% sure, but I've heard that motorcycles are notorious for not fully charging a battery. Get a battery tender for $20 at Wal-Mart (you have Wal-Mart down there????) and hook it up and make sure your battery is full-on.
Can you explain "the ECU resets"? Not sure I understand what you observe to know that this happens.
I guess covering the end of the exhaust is one way to test your theory. I'm curious to hear what happens. Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Given my Tiger was having trouble starting 2 weeks back, and the ECU reset. Not everything, but the petrol gauge definitely went to 0 then took the normal "fill time", (4-8km) to come up to the previous level again. So I put the battery on charge (2-3hrs 2 days running) and she's been fine ever since.

So my first guess, it's symptomatic of the underpowered/marginal battery Triumph put in the 1050's.

Charge you battery and see what happens.
Russ

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Can you explain "the ECU resets"? Not sure I understand what you observe to know that this happens.
I guess covering the end of the exhaust is one way to test your theory. I'm curious to hear what happens. Best of luck.
In my case, I hit the start button to crank the engine. It wound over for a few seconds and then stopped cranking while still holding the start button. It then cycled through the start up sequence and then nothing!!! I then released the start button and re-applied and it started almost instantly. I thought it was the Twilight Zone when I got home and saw this thread lol.

I've since contacted my mechanic and I'm quite happy with the response. PM sent to Herbus with details.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Starter switch at the handlebar may have condensation in it.

Zip

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yeah, the more I think about this one the more it seems like an electrical glitch of some sort. Have you messed with the kickstand switch? Is it possibly sticking? I've been confused a couple of times cranking on my bike and it won't fire, only to realize I left it in 1st at the gas pump and was cranking with the kickstand down. If your switch was sticking or intermittent, it might cause some funny stuff.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input folks

The dealer told me "it's gotta be your battery"... I Asked him about moisture, he said nup... hmmm well yeah the battery in the S3 sounds like it can struggle, but I have a tender on it regularly... harder on the battery in the cold too though...

BUT... I had success yesterday after having covered the pipe ends with plastic the night before...
In the morning, the bike hesitated for a moment and I thought nothing had changed, but then it blew the plastic off the pipes and started up!

I'm about to go and try again for this morning... I think I will need to see how I go for a week, or two, and it's going to get colder and colder as winter moves in... time will tell

Interesting situation though. So far looks like back-pressure in the cold is the culprit. Will post an update if I have any.

Cheers!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for the input folks

The dealer told me "it's gotta be your battery"... I Asked him about moisture, he said nup... hmmm well yeah the battery in the S3 sounds like it can struggle, but I have a tender on it regularly... harder on the battery in the cold too though...

BUT... I had success yesterday after having covered the pipe ends with plastic the night before...
In the morning, the bike hesitated for a moment and I thought nothing had changed, but then it blew the plastic off the pipes and started up!

I'm about to go and try again for this morning... I think I will need to see how I go for a week, or two, and it's going to get colder and colder as winter moves in... time will tell

Interesting situation though. So far looks like back-pressure in the cold is the culprit. Will post an update if I have any.

Cheers!
Hey Herbus Ive put a Zorst can on my Speedy and feel Im in a similar situation
Wonder if its the O2 sensor getting stuffed up with the moisture creep or sumthing ?
Just a thought
I will try whats been set out in here
Cheers

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Hey Herbus Ive put a Zorst can on my Speedy and feel Im in a similar situation
Wonder if its the O2 sensor getting stuffed up with the moisture creep or sumthing ?
Just a thought
Basically the feedback I got from my mechanic.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, well no concrete solution but a little more info I thought I'd add...

I've had my 20k (km's) service now and the bike is in tip top shape... nothing fouled, leaky, oily, etc...
Bike still won't start in the cold

My plastic bags over the pipes are not doing an effective job anymore... I guess it's getting colder and I need to try something thicker... I can't help but think this might be solved by a bike cover but I might buy some heavy blankets to throw over first and see... tuck the bike in nice n snug for the night and keep my fingers crossed :rolleyes:

I got a Deka battery loaned to me and still had the same issues - that's 3 batteries and no fix, so I am putting the battery thing to rest completely... I expect it's now a moisture or fueling/tune issue

Tomorrow morning I'm going to try pointing the wife's hairdryer down the pipes for 5 mins to see if it gives me a different result - I'm thinking it will warm the air in the pipes and might fix the issue IF it's related to any sensors along there, like the O2 maybe?

Failing that, I've been told the Tuneboy tune I threw on should be pulled off to see if that's fuelling wrong. I've used the arrow 3-into-1 tuneboy tune, but I've been told that it still runs richer than the Triumph-released arrow tune... anyone can confirm this?

I'm going to post a new thread about removing tuneboy - I've been told it can be a real bitch or impossible, depending on the level of luck... thank goodness for this forum where I can get backup to the stuff mechanics tell ya :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
You are using the 3-1 tune for a set of dual high mount cans? Have you tried using the TORS or Arrow slip on tunes for your bike yet?

I would think that a tune for a single low mount GP pipe would be off for a set of dual mount cans.

What year is your bike, someone might be able to give you a tune number to try and load.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
New post about removing tuneboy is here. I link to it here because I've also thrown a video up and put in some more info again - I am starting to suspect the way my starter gives up is going to be a hint, hence the video, please have a listen...
http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/113268-removing-tuneboy-to-fix-cold-starts.html

It was suggested the arrow tune was the best for the pipes I have, although admittedly it would run a little rich... looking at the tunes available, maybe I should be running 20275 (1050 Speed Triple with Triumph/Arrow high level exhaust without cat and secondary air injection)

I have a 2007 bike and in Aus we run the 05/06 exhaust system on this model.

I have to borrow a tuneboy cable to try that 20275 but maybe I'll try it...
I also thought about getting it dyno'd but not sure if it would help, or if it's worth it anyway...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts