Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming from more of a cruiser oriented back ground, I was sorta used to a "hunch backed" riding position.

Well recently I've also done some seat mods, the last of which was a dismal failure.....So I decided to try a Thruxton seat. Hmmmmmmm, instant gratification for me bums. But also I noticed I was sitting a little further back, and I'd almost eliminated the HB cruiser syndrome too.

HMMMMMMMMM.......thinking to myself.....if the bars were a little lower and further forward....

SuperBars and football grips orderred from Brent.

WELL NOW! Jump on the ole girl and my back immediately assumes a natural forward arch at the waste(as it is designed to) and I have no weight on my hands nor wrists as I was afraid I would. This is GREAT! Next week I'll get some miles on her and let y'all know what I really think,,, but first impressions are really positive. I think my already screwed up, 53 year old back is gonna be liking this combo, as much as my arse is liking the Thruxton seat.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Kliff - I swapped out the stock bars for MotoTwins Sport Touring ones last spring. Aside from the fact that I have only a 32" sleeve length, I am so pleased with the overall riding position these bars bring to the bike. I think what you'll really like with the lower, more forward bars is the level of control you'll experience at higher speeds, plus the fact that you won't feel like you're getting blown off the saddle. I'm curious what you'll think after spending some time with them.

I may go for some bars that come just a bit closer to me, but I will never go back to anything as high and as far back as the stockers.

On my trip out West on the Bonnie, the low bars (relatively short bars, too) let me feel in perfect control running Interstates in windy conditions at 75-80mph for hours on end.

Maybe this preference for lower, shorter bars comes from years of riding Beemers.

Bob

[ This message was edited by: ohiorider on 2006-11-18 15:43 ]

·
Registered
54 Posts
Because the belief that an upright position is so widely held as being the most confortable and best for your back I always believed it.
But after years of riding both upright bikes like the bonnie and forward leaning bikes like the R1, I've concluded that the sporty position of sport bikes and thruxtons and such are far more comfortable and natural - your back is straight and the weight rests more on your shoulders/wrists which can take infinite beatings compared with your back.

I used to ride all day on the R1 and never feel fatigue; two hours on the bonnie and my back is ruined and I need a few days rest.

The upright/cruiser position is the worst, most painful, and unnatural.
The foward-leaning sporty ride is the best, most comfortable, and natural.

I'm currently cafeing my bonnie to get that relaxed sporty feel back (pun intended :)

I'm just can't believe I've been fooled for so long!

Even yesterday someone said they'd like the cafe style but couldn't bear the riding position. I informed him that he also had been deluded by a popular belief based not in fact and that if he ever tried a sport bike he would find himself INclining in perfect comfort.

I even suggested that all his bike purchases hereunto have been influenced by the 'upright fallacy'.

mmmm maybe I should have started a new topic, I could talk all day about this. I haven't even started on the wrists yet!
But I'll stop my rant here if you haven't already got bored and closed this window :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm with you, Doc. I've done 400 plus mile days on the Thruxton and felt better than after a 300 mile day on the Harley I used to have.

Steve

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OH YESSSSSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What bliss! This is the riding position I've been needing for YEARS!
Just got in from a chilly(40F) and somewhat windy(15-25mhh winds), with NO freakin' back pain, NO butt ache......just cold, cause I was having so much fun, I stayed out longer than my state of dress could compensate for the cold. But I was having FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Super bars and Thruxton seat.....so far are the answer for me....

Now a flyscreen and seat cowl.....gotta complete the "look," y'all understand....right?????

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
On 2006-11-21 12:06, kliff wrote:
OH YESSSSSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What bliss! This is the riding position I've been needing for YEARS!
Just got in from a chilly(40F) and somewhat windy(15-25mhh winds), with NO freakin' back pain, NO butt ache......just cold, cause I was having so much fun, I stayed out longer than my state of dress could compensate for the cold. But I was having FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kliff - glad to hear you found the short bars to your liking. I can't imagine my T100 with anything else. They get a lot of the weight off your butt and into your upper legs. They don't work for everyone, but they do for me, and it sounds like you've just become another disciple for lower, more forward bars.

They make a totally different bike out of the Bonnie, don't you think? Come to think of it, Brit Bikes in the 1960's and 70's came with shorter, lower bars most everywhere in the world except the USA.

When Kaw imported the W650 into the US, they made sure they put high Buckhorn bars on them for the American audience. I replaced them with the Euro bar kit Kaw used on the W for most of the rest of the world market, which were much lower than the stockers. Also a great improvement for me.

Enjoy your new ride!

Bob

·
Registered
827 Posts
I also thought it would be rougher on the back but after reading this I might have to give it a try. Hard to lose for $50. Are does anyone have any for sale?

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have short arms so I lean on my bars alittle now and I notice my palms start to get sore. Will this get worse with Superbars?

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Good job Kliff. Most folks think more upright is comfortable, but I like getting the weight off my spine while being just the right amount forward to keep weight off the wrist/shoulders. I have the Super Bars and really enjoy them. How do you like the football grips? What difference do you notice over the stockers? Now, the best thing for helping your comfort is to put shocks and fork sprongs on it, if you haven't already. What a difference in handling and comfort. Have fun and pile on the miles for us cold weather folks!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Kliff--that thrux seat looks great. I've been deliberating about this for a long time. I don't want the K&Q, as I ride solo, I don't want the Bonnie solo as it doesn't fit the look I'm after AND I often use a tailbag, and my bum is killing me after 100 miles. Never a problem until the Bonnie. I've even sent the stock seat to Sargents for their super cell foam, but it's still not comfortable. The thrux seat looks right. One question--any change in height? I'm at the upper limit of what I feel comfortable with in terms of seat height with the stock T100 seat, so if the thrux seat is higher, I'd have to compensate somehow.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts