Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
After splitting up with the wife I'm finally allowed back on two wheels.
Picked up a 1999 Daytona 955i (21K miles). Have to say it is one of the easiest bikes I've ever ridden. Throttle response is very smooth and power delivery seems very even throughout the rev range.
I've got a couple of issues to sort out but nothing too major really: speedometer has died on me - can ride it on the rev counter and still have a decent idea of what speed I'm travelling at - and the battery drains every now and then if left standing for 24hrs in cold weather. Other than that it's a joy.
I ride it to/from work every day so it's going to get plenty of mileage added to it.
When I actually get a day off work I can look to find out what is draining the battery, but it's no big deal to put the booster on there every now and then. After being dead it will start first time on the booster and will continue to start for a few days before needing to be boosted again. So either something is draining it or it's not quite charging correctly. Cold weather and riding almost always in the dark might not be helping things.
For the speedo it'll be visiting the garage, I've no idea how to even begin looking into that one. It worked fine then just went to zero on the motorway one day.

Looking forward to some nice weather so I can get out and enjoy her other than just commuting to/from work.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I too had quite a long break, but the good news it bikes have come on a hell of a long way in the meantime!
Afraid I don't know anything about the Daytona's, but does sound like you might want to treat yourself to a new battery. As for the speedo... is it electronic or cable drive? If latter, simple, if the former, hopefully someone here jumps in with some tips!

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
614 Posts
Welcome to the site, definitely make sure your battery is efficient or not. And Get a battery tender set up a great investment for a small price. and replace the speedo cable for about $15-25 should b an easy do it yourself fix. usually 2 causes why the speedo engagement tab breaks ( were the red arrow is pointing) either it broke naturally from long term ware or when someone disconnected and reinstalled the speedo cable end they didn’t do it right and ended up breaking the tab. Hope this helps.... FTG
P.s. sorry to hear about your divorce but happy to hear about your moto reunion....

·
Registered
2019 Speedmaster
132 Posts
"Welcome back", jonluk, and yea, sorry for your divorce (or congratulations, perhaps, over time). I had a very similar situation last year, before I got this bike. But we had already been married 29 years, so we weathered her storm. (I've had bikes half my life, including when we got married, and during our marriage). I have, however, heard of fellas actually having enthusiastic, supportive wives (FTG, for one!). Hope you get one... if you look for another. In the meantime, hope your speedo issues are minor. And re: the battery... I'm no mechanic, so my two cents would be: how old is the battery? Maybe simply replacing it? Again, two cents worth indeed. Cheers. Happy trails!

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,696 Posts
Welcome back to two wheels! How long were you bikeless?

Take some time to redevelop your skills. Jumping right back in with a powerful sportbike requires some self control and judgement. Riding is a perishable skill.

·
2014 Bonneville T100
1,370 Posts
Hello jonluk! Thank you for introducing yourself. We’re really glad you joined! Post your question over at the Daytona forum and you'll get lots of good help.

I hope you find this site to be a great place to meet and talk with a great bunch of riders about Triumph bikes. Everyone here is very willing to help with questions or problems with your bike(s). I have personally saved lots of time and money thanks to the skilled help I have received from members.

Please post your questions in the sections related to your bike’s model. Most of the time you will get quick, informed responses.

As you cruise around the many different sections of this site you will find a wealth of information. There are technical sections for every Triumph model and chat sections for the same. Also, we have a classifieds section that is well worth checking out. (NOTE: You need to make at least five posts before you can post to Classifieds.)

Here is a link to the rules of the site and the classifieds. I recommend that you take a few minutes to read through them.

Read first before trying to post. Classified Ad Rules - Accessing Our Classifieds

If you want to just hang out and shoot the breeze the “Biker Hang-Out” Chat Section will be the place to stop in. Biker Hang-Out

If you haven't already please fill out your profile. It helps others to know what you ride and where on the planet you are located.

Here are the governing rules of the site and what can and cannot be done here. Acceptable Use Policy - Acceptable Use Policy (AUP)

I hope you enjoy the site. The moderators are here to help if you have questions or concerns. Thanks for joining Triumph Rat!

I wish you safe, fun riding!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all,
Battery has now been changed and all seems OK on that front. I've still got the original factory fitted alarm on it which, after 20 yrs in amazed it still works really.
I need some time in daylight to get the speedo sorted.

Been 15 yrs since I last had a bike so been taking it steady until the skills come back. Last one was a cruiser so completely different riding style. I'm loving this Daytona though that's for sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tested the speedo & cable, they seem fine - rotating the cable you can see the speedo needle move. So now waiting for a new (used) sensor to arrive and it'll be off to the garage to get that fitted. Unfortunately I don't have access to facilities to get the bike off the ground any more so I can't do things like that myself 😭

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
614 Posts
That’s great to hear u r getting those issues fixed and then u can enjoy riding your moto with confidence And try to avoid break downs and u get to know your bike better.....FTG

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, all is going well.
I had a bit if time to ride it before the speedo died. So I know what gear/revs give the important speeds ie 30,40,50,70 so I'm happy to ridden it on the rev counter until I get the speedo working correctly again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts