Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like Tim a few days ago, I turned 50 (yesterday, the 21st) and decided it was time to get back in the saddle. My story is another connection to dad story. Back in my early 20s I had worked at a Yamaha dealer wrenching new bikes out of the box. I also put in a few summers during college as a sales rep at Drag Specialties. I had three different Yamahas, a 400 Special, a 920 Virago and a 550 Vision. During one summer my dad and I rescued a burnt out 71 Bonnie. We stripped her down to the frame and built her back up as best we could. The times spent together building that bike I will never forget. I rode it for a few years but grad school and life got in the way and eventually I sold off my last bike when I was 30.

I started looking at bikes seriously a few months ago and as my 50th came closer I decided it was time for me to do something just for me. I had put 60k on the 550 Vision, which I had always referred to as a poor man's sport tourer, so when I first saw the Sprint STs, it was love at first site. That and the low costs made it an easy entry and something mommy couldn't hang over my head. I went and tried one out yesterday. Surprise, surprise, I ended buying myself a birthday present. It is a 99 Sprint ST955, 4k, yes 4,000, one owner miles on her. The fact that it cost less than my mountain bike was too enticing to pass up.

I only have the test ride under my belt as the bike is an hour and a half away and I left this morning for a week long vacation with the family. First impression, holy schniky, the thing moves a lot faster than any of my previous bikes and I found myself very comfortable while cruising and having a ball tucking down and revving her up.

I was thrilled to find these forums and look forward to sharing the passion.

Bob

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Welcome Bob
Glad to have you in the fold.
I started late, 56 years old. Six years later I'm making up for lost time!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts