Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm looking to buy a new 07 Sprint. Is there anything I should know about before I make the deal? Are the 2006 bags I've seen offered the same as the 07's (I remember some bad press about the first issue of hard-bags)?

There are some really good offers on the 06 models, but the 07's been improved- so say the magazines.

Is the ABS all its made out to be? I'm considering that also.

I'm not new to the site; prior bikes include an 01 Bonnie, 02 Daytona, 03 Speed Four, 04 Thruxton. There is a pattern there :) The others were sold off for various reasons...

So why a Sprint? I've always wanted to do some distance riding; Canada is my nearest goal, then a coast-to-coast later in 07. In the search for the right bike, I'm back to Triumph; although the BMW 1200GS is also on the short list. But, I'm a Triumph guy, so...help!

Thanks!
~Randy DTFR
Ride safe!

[ This message was edited by: RandyDTFR on 2006-11-19 22:24 ]

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
welcome back randy.
The Sprint is a gem especially the 1050 engine.It is smooth and strong and very willing and sounds great.
A lot of us have done some fairly long trips in relative comfort and even with pillions onboard.
The bags are sorted now.The originals were a bit flimsy and not very watertight.
ABS? - I've got it and consider it is a worthwhile investment - there have been a few discussions on it and not everyone wants ABS.

Heres a link to one of the recent threads on the merits of the Sprint clicky here

Good luck with the purchase.

Grant :cool:

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
How ya goin Randy,
welcome back also from downunder.

I'll let icey and the guys with newer models answer your Q's.
But great to see you here in Sprint land fellow Triumph addict. :-D

Davem :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Hi Randy,
Iceman and Dave know what they're talking about.

Here's my latest thoughts on the Sprint ST
Link to some views on the Sprint 1050

Re: the bags, the 06's with them are being offered upgrades to the new ones.

There's a thread here somewhere about the differences between the 06's and the 07's. There's a few (somewhere about 6-7) but really they are really minor evolutionary improvements.

You don't hear anyone who has an 05/06 saying, gee I gotta get the 07, the differences just aren't that great. So if I was buying now, I'd look at the deal I was offered. If you can save about $2K on the 06 over the 07 then you could spend less than a grand upgrading most things to equal the 07. In fact you could use the savings to upgrade the suspension and make the 06 significantly outperform not only the 07 but a bunch of other more expensive steeds.

Russ

·
Registered
646 Posts
Greetings and welcome back,

Might be counter-productive, but I have an 02 ST with 22,000 miles. She acts like she's just broken-in. My wife gave me the option of buying a new bike or upgrading what I have. Because I am so tickled about my 02 I've chosen to just upgrade what I've got. Should last at least another 4-6 years.

I'll probably wait until the 4th generation ST's become available before I buy new.

No matter, IMHO, you'll be grinning from ear to ear while singing a trumpet :wink:

·
Registered
616 Posts
If an 06 is a later one it will have the heat kit in it and the good bags. For far less than the price difference of an 07 you can install Gen-Mar or other risers and, if needed, an aftermarket seat. You're gonna do the TOR can and 18t front sprocket regardless.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have an '06 that I seem to modify every other week--it's a long list . . . But, the engine and chasis are unsurpassed in this class!

I just road an '07 this past Saturday. As soon as I got on, I started yelping for joy, and quietly cursing Triumph for making such GREAT changes to the '07. Why, you may ask? Well, the fuel injection mapping/ECU changes were just BEAUTIFUL I thought. Low speed in first and second gears was smooth as silk. No more bumping, jumping, *****, burping and gurgling. I was thinking the the gearing was changed from a 19T to an 18T on the front sprocket. And the exhaust note! My goodness! It was terrific! Finally, it sounded like I was on a motorcyle, and I could hear the exhaust purring away at speed.

Jump to the end, it turns out that the dealer installed Triumph's performane exhaust can and loaded a new map. I did not know that before I took the ride. So much for the exhaust note and low speed performance in stock. But wait, it may be possible to finagle the performance tune and get a richer burn without spending $500.00+ on the performance exhaust--just ask your friendly neighborhood technician, who will deny that it is possible. But there is a new ECU on the '07 and it does change the FI operation somewhat--it now only takes 2 seconds to start the bike instead of 5.

The new clip-on handlebars really bring the seating position up and back beautifully (I'm 5'8''). In fact, it is a touch better than my GenMar risers. No sportiness or handling is sacrificed. The steering is as responsive on the '06 and the bike handles turns very well. The stock seat is much more comfy than the '06. The ABS system works smoothly and consistently, though some may feel that there is less "strength" in the system; but that is only a "feel" not an actual operational fact--the system is strong.

Also, it felt as if there was less braking dive with the '07 suspension. I am not saying that this is an objective fact, only that comparing my 2900 mile '06 to a 53 mile '07, I could not replicate the braking dive effect on the '07 as I experience with my stock (for now) '06.

The bags are the same on the '07 as the '06.

If I was comparing an '07 and an '06, and the price was relatively close, I would go '07. But, there are two issues: the stock '07 windshield, even though it is higher than the '06, somehow lets a lot of air get into your helmet. It doesn't feel like there is a windblast, but it feels like wind is just blowing in the helmet. Go figure!? And, second, if you were thinking of red, I think the '06 Sunset Red is way cooler than the candy apple red, err, excuse me, Tornado Red on the '07.

But hey, these are all "impressions." What ever you do, if your get a Sprint, you will have miles and miles of a good time.

Aaron

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys!

Huge help here!!

I haven't talked to any of the dealers about price yet; SoCal Triumph looks to be offering a 6 year warranty on their 06 models. Naturally, most of the dealers are closed today, so I'll have to wait and see what they have to say

Being 6'2" I'd probably like the shorter 2006 handle bars (07 being taller)... then I have to choose between red & blue-

Thanks again! I'll keep you posted.

~Randy DTFR
Ride safe!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts