Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone installed the Baak ignition relocation kit with the extended wiring. I'm not thrilled about the relocation to the frame using the Motone bracket I have now.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Anyone installed the Baak ignition relocation kit with the extended wiring. I'm not thrilled about the relocation to the frame using the Motone bracket I have now.

Yes I installed it. It’s awesome. Easy install. I can’t really speak to the headlight extension - my wire loom is a bit custom so I ended up not needing it. I don’t have any complaints or interference. A few friends ended up installing it as well after seeing it in person. I highly recommend it

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Personally I'm not thrilled about relocating to the frame period. Kits like the Joker brackets mount the switch upside down which guides water in, destroying the internal switch contacts, and if you have a short front fender or none at all then there's spray coming off the wheel. In the past, people have said to me "I don't ride in the rain" - well, good luck with that if you're out on a long ride. There are alternatives, a member here, D9, makes instrument brackets to die for, which relocates the ignition to up between the gauges. They are a little on the expensive side but the quality is extremely high. I think Motone also make a gauge relocation bracket, much cheaper than the D9 but this is more or less a copy of the stock gauge bracket with an additional hole for the switch, and the finish is much lower quality. Another alternative is to say to hell with it and go keyless, this can be very cheaply done, gets rid of the ignition switch and its associated issues and provides a little extra security.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I installed it. It’s awesome. Easy install. I can’t really speak to the headlight extension - my wire loom is a bit custom so I ended up not needing it. I don’t have any complaints or interference. A few friends ended up installing it as well after seeing it in person. I highly recommend it
If you didn't use the extension, what did you do with it. If you want to get shy of it send me a PM. I can make my own mounting bracket.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you didn't use the extension, what did you do with it. If you want to get shy of it send me a PM. I can make my own mounting bracket.

I threw it away. I installed this mount a little over a year ago. I cleared out the garage a few weeks back now that my build is pretty much done. Sorry. I would’ve helped you no problem if I still had it.

If you have the skills to make your own mount you could easily splice in some wire and extend the headlight connector. That’s basically the kit from Baak. It’s very well done and easy to install. No fuss

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I threw it away. I installed this mount a little over a year ago. I cleared out the garage a few weeks back now that my build is pretty much done. Sorry. I would’ve helped you no problem if I still had it.

That's a shame. I don't like cutting and splicing the original harness, so I was looking to have a plug and go solution. Thanks anyway for the offer. I tried finding a source for the male & female plugs a while back and the company told me they only sold them in lots of one thousand and then only to businesses. Kiwi I like your solution but I am not thrilled with the tumbler slot being upward due to rain water intrusion. These switches have had their share of problems.

·
Registered
279 Posts

That's a shame. I don't like cutting and splicing the original harness, so I was looking to have a plug and go solution. Thanks anyway for the offer. I tried finding a source for the male & female plugs a while back and the company told me they only sold them in lots of one thousand and then only to businesses. Kiwi I like your solution but I am not thrilled with the tumbler slot being upward due to rain water intrusion. These switches have had their share of problems.
Try eBay. A quick search and it looks like there are some options for those connectors....

I removed the tape around my harness and pulled the headlight wires out and retapped everything. It looks better than factory. In doing so, I was able to create enough length where I didn’t need the extension. I was able to address some of those weak factory wire connection points too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts