Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the handlebar risers I fabbed...
1" 6061 aluminum stock...
1-1/4" high...
Drilled and polished on a lathe...
Longer bolts...
$15 material cost...
For the rest, there's MasterCard...
I know I'm cheap, but in this economy...
It made a nice improvement to bring the bars back for a more comfortable hand / arm position on the stock bars.
Punch marks are the same on the clamp mating surface.
A must for efficient counter steering.
I am hesitant to purchase after market handle bars 'till I try some one else's to see if I like them. Plus the added cost of swapping out the cables.
What do you think?
Yeah, I know. Not another handle bar thread!

Wish I knew how to post the photo large instead of a thumbnail!
Oh well, click...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
A much better and more efficient solution, IMHO. The risers that modify the clamps themselves have never made any sense to me AND they require expensive machining. Spacers and longer bolts make a whole lotta sense.

Well done.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A much better and more efficient solution, IMHO. The risers that modify the clamps themselves have never made any sense to me AND they require expensive machining. Spacers and longer bolts make a whole lotta sense.

Well done.
Thanks guys.

Got the idea from Derby Boy...

He gets the credit!

Gotta love your quote John!
It reminds me of this one...
"He's a great guy, until you get to know him."

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hey Flaco,
Thanks for the Cred's. I was gonna flick you some crap, but being the stand-up guy you are you took the fun out of it.
See ya at the Pancake Breakfast. Oh yeah I got the new avon's on and may have the drag pipes done by the ride.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Flaco,
Thanks for the Cred's. I was gonna flick you some crap, but being the stand-up guy you are you took the fun out of it.
See ya at the Pancake Breakfast. Oh yeah I got the new avon's on and may have the drag pipes done by the ride.
You pegged me right...
Had to see if you would chime in!
"Knowledge is the only thing you keep when you give it away."
Thanks bro...

Yeah, I'll be there!
Ran into Triumph John on his BA the other day.
Which Avon's you get? Roadriders?
Drag pipes, Cool!

·
Registered
177 Posts
looks good.

I did the same thing on a DR-650 using a set of old bar ends. Cost me $8!!!!

Amazing what can be accomplished with a little creativity.
:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Yo ~ Flaco

Here are the handlebar risers I fabbed...
1" 6061 aluminum stock...
1-1/4" high...
Drilled and polished on a lathe...
Longer bolts...
$15 material cost...
For the rest, there's MasterCard...
I know I'm cheap, but in this economy...
It made a nice improvement to bring the bars back for a more comfortable hand / arm position on the stock bars.
Punch marks are the same on the clamp mating surface.
A must for efficient counter steering.
I am hesitant to purchase after market handle bars 'till I try some one else's to see if I like them. Plus the added cost of swapping out the cables.

Yo ~ Flaco
I like the approach you took by lifting the entire bar from below. I have an '06 Bonnie with stock bars and I want to lift them up, as well. How's the handling been over the past few months? Did you find that the throttle cables were too tight? Just wondering before I commit to trying to find these type risers. Thanks...

·
Registered
40 Posts
pullback?

Being somewhat short of arm length, I would like to get the bars back 1" or so... don't really want to change out handlebars because I like the shape of the ones I have (Westerns) - and I'm lazy. Has anyone fabricated curved or stepped risers to accomplish this?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yo ~ Flaco
I like the approach you took by lifting the entire bar from below. I have an '06 Bonnie with stock bars and I want to lift them up, as well. How's the handling been over the past few months? Did you find that the throttle cables were too tight? Just wondering before I commit to trying to find these type risers. Thanks... [/QUOTE]

No problem at all w/ the cables being to tight. I could have gone w/ 1-1/2" risers with out stretching the cables.
If you look from the side if your bike you can see that when an inch and a quarter is added in the height, the handle bars are brought back around an inch, following the same angle as the forks and using the same punch marks on the bars...
Inexpensive!
Don't find them, build them!
A lot less expense to save for other mods!
pm me if you have any mo' "Yo ~ Flaco" questions on 'em...

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
$AVING CA$H vs. GETTING RE$ULT$

Thanks, Flaco - I gotta remember that I'm "Rich" in name only... in any case, I really don't have the right equipment to build my own. I did find a guy (Jim's Spacers) that'll ship out 1" spacers and bolts for $29. Oh well, I gotta pay the piper now and then... decided on 1" spacers 'cause of my fairing mounting brackets and the cutouts for the grips. I'm hoping that a simple 1" will make a difference in my riding posture. How do you like the 1-1/4" change? Comfy?

·
Registered
648 Posts
I installed 1.25" Gen-Mars.
Nothings easier to install and they gave the rise I wanted.

·
30,392 Posts
I have a pair of those Genmar risers too. Piece of cake to put in, no need to change cables / hoses, made the ride just that bit better for me.

A bit spendy for what they are maybe.......

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have a pair of those Genmar risers too. Piece of cake to put in, no need to change cables / hoses, made the ride just that bit better for me.

A bit spendy for what they are maybe.......
Yeah, I guess they are kinda expensive to manufacture.
I would actually prefer them to be about 1/2" taller but any taller and I'd need all new cables.
For me, it's a lot more comfortable than stock.
What can I say? I'm old ;)

·
30,392 Posts
I'm with you on that. The money was well spent for me, turned a good ride into a really good ride.

I guess if I did it again I'd make a couple of tubes to go under the handlebar clamps, and use longer bolts - which I guess is what Flaco did in fact! Wish I'd thought of that! :D

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm with you on that. The money was well spent for me, turned a good ride into a really good ride.

I guess if I did it again I'd make a couple of tubes to go under the handlebar clamps, and use longer bolts - which I guess is what Flaco did in fact! Wish I'd thought of that! :D
Not tubing! Solid 6061 aluminum.

Yeah shoot! I got the idea from Derby Boy! I made them on a friends lathe.
Shoot if I had the time I would build sets to sell inexpensive.
Genmar's do the trick, just not as easy on the eye...

I like the look and feel.

RICHW,
Modest but effective change in comfort and posture.
Hey! My buddy owes me some bench time on his lathe as I am helping build his cabin in NM on the continental divide.
I still have some aluminum stock left over, and could spin some out for you...

I'm no D9, but I fab mining equipment at work all day.

Wait till you hear how I botched my re-jet last weekend!
I'll try and get it right as soon as parts arrive, if not you'll be hearing from me!

Shoot! Missed our local RAT ride and the weather is in the 70's!!!

·
30,392 Posts
Fair enough Flaco, I thought there might be some thick wall tubing around, but I haven't checked. Even if there was it's usually easier and cheaper to get aluminium rod and stuff a drill up it as you say. Easy peasy on a lathe.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I installed 1.25" Gen-Mars.
Nothings easier to install and they gave the rise I wanted.

I also have these, they put the bars right where I want them and didn't have to change any cables. Only slight crititism is that they don't really fit too well in sofar as they are a little narrower in spots than the OEM parts that they bolt too and therefore look "added on".
Given a choice I'd just change the bars for some that put me in the same position, H D Sportster bars are close, but no cigar. Been keeping an eye on the handle bar thread but nothing yet.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Given a choice I'd just change the bars for some that put me in the same position, H D Sportster bars are close, but no cigar. Been keeping an eye on the handle bar thread but nothing yet.

I'd change to different bars as well but any bars I'd choose are a little wider. I like TT style bars but they are too wide to easily ride through the door into my home where I keep my bike.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 21 Posts