Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Due to my stupidity, I broke the rear axle on my "new" 98 TBird (long story for another day). The new axle has arrived so hopefully goes in tonight. But looking at the parts diagram on Bike Bandit, they show the axle "head" on the left (sprocket) side, and the nut on the right (brake) side. On mine, the nut is currently on the sprocket side! Which is correct (or does it really matter)?

On a related topic, can anyone say what is typical for the clearance between the wheel assembly and the swingarm before the axle is tightened? On mine, it seems to be about 2-3mm. So when tightening the axle, this clearance has to be closed by pinching the swingarm ends together, leading perhaps to higher than needed stress on the axle? Perhaps one of the spacers is missing?

Cheers,

Jay

·
Registered
898 Posts
it's as Bike Bandit says, that's how mine is as well. as for the swing arm clearance, i don't have my bike at work so i can't measure for you :(

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
On my Tbird fiche, the nut is shown on the brake side. On my Legend, the nut is on the drive side, not sure if it matters which?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all!

When I stopped at the dealer to pick up the new axle, I also checked with the service manager (although they do not do a lot of Triumph work). His opinion was the same - should be on the brake side (but it did not really matter). And in his opnion it was highly unlikely that any of the needed spacers on the wheel assembly had gone missing and that the 2-3mm of clearance was about right.

It all went back together very smoothly (with EXACTLY 85 n-m torque!!) and rides perfect!

- Jay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts