Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I use a 6 point impact socket with an electric impact wrench. I used to use breaker bars, but no longer.

·
Registered
174 Posts
To keep the rear wheel from moving while having a hard time getting the rear axle nut off? I can imagine this would work.
I figured it must. I had mine apart so long time ago I'm trying to remember how I did it. I remember I strapped the stand to the front wheel like Spacedave posted, worried about pulling the bike off the stand, so it confused me for a moment. When I took it off I straped it for safety but just didn't pull that way anyway. As I posted then, I took great care to be certain the crown was clear of the threads. I think I took the tire off. Put the nut back on the R side and put the pin back. Then I put a 18" adjustable wrench on it because then it had an unobstructed grip and braced it on a block on the ground. I have a socket that fit on the Left. I used a breaker bar like Dk 955i has, a big one. Then I put an old fork tube on that and the nut moved like butter as i pressed down carefully with one hand. I had no worry about applying side loads on the socket. It just moved. It didn't just pop and unscrew easy though. It was still tight on the threads I figured they were damaged. I worked it on and off a little at a time and didn't force it much. As if using a die. About half way it just unscrewed easy. Once it came off, I cleaned the threads with a small triangle file and pick looking at it with magnification and put the nut on backwards and forwards until it turned on and off with my fingers.
I felt it had been over torqued so a few threads were a little stretched. I cleaned it up. When it put it back I torqued it. Then I took it off to see how it was and it was like any normal nut. I46Nm isn't super tight. It felt like a lug nut would on a long torque wrench, nothing heroic. When I staked it, I did it like someday I will need to take it off, not so far towards the inside of the slot or so deep. Sure doesn't take a much to keep it from moving. If one suspects locktite has been used, the heat of a propane torch will soften it. Also, if one needs a new assembly I see a couple entire axles on ebay now, one in Aneheim and one in Virginia for around $40.
This is my best recollection of how I did it. I may be wrong. If I had an impact wrench I know I would have just used that instead of making it a hobby. Please feel free to offer critiques as my memory of doing it could be wrong. I'm certainly no expert. I hope it's useful.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The single shock provided by the 12v impact wrench I have has mostly worked for me but you might need the rapid fire multi shocks that only a rattle gun can deliver.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
My cheap electric impact rattles any nut I've tried to remove. Although I have ruined chrome lug nuts on my car wheels by using it. Wrong socket for the job as well.

·
3,008 Posts
My 22 year old Daytona likes it rough. :cool:
Bright spot in my long day right there mate

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Finally got the nut off with this socket... now to try and remove all 3 bearings (I’ve got all new ones) without damaging anything... is there a thread for that? Cheers

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
There are several threads on the axle service. It's not that big a job.

BUT - you will have to deal with a large snap-ring. Have a 'really large' set of snap-ring pliers on hand before you start the job.

·
3,008 Posts
This might help

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

21 - 36 of 36 Posts