Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
For anyone looking to make a change to a slightly lighter rear wheel, the GT axle and wheel are a direct swap for the ST parts. I've yet to log more than 20 miles on the change but so far so good. It works! This weekend I'll add around 800 miles to my steed so can provide an update next week on any perceived performance improvements.

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Lighter rear wheel = perceived performance improvement

This weekend I logged 848 miles of backroads through IL IA MN and WI. Although not dramatic, the Sprint with a lighter rear wheel felt a bit more agile and I had the impression that changes in speed were easier (acceleration and deceleration).
If a spare GT rear wheel and axle becomes available, take the plunge! The marketing of the GT speaks to a 2lb reduction in the wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
This should work on the 2nd gen sprint st 955i correct? If im not mistaken i believe that the wheels can be swapped from a 1050 to a 955i

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This should work on the 2nd gen sprint st 955i correct? If im not mistaken i believe that the wheels can be swapped from a 1050 to a 955i

Exactly. The hub, cush drive, rear sprocket, brake assembly, axle, wheels are all interchangeable from the 955 Sprint through the 1050 Sprint ST. (My former 2000 Sprint ST became a parts bike so I've used some of these components on my 2005 & 2007 1050 Sprint ST's). Only change with the GT appears to be the axle and wheel.

I'm not certain, but the later model Speed Triple (2011+) might also use the same axle as the GT, as they switched to the 5 pin axle & wheel that year. To determine if those are also interchangeable, you can check part numbers on Bikebandit.com or other online source for Triumph parts to see if they match between bikes.

I think the hardest part of this swap is finding the parts. There are few GT's around to scavenge from!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts