Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you know I was all excited about going to the Ace cafe today. We woke up early, even though we we're both dog tired. Went down the garage and got on our way. Went the back way to the North circular and came up through High Wycomb, it was busy but good for the bike as it was going up and down through the gears.

Get to the North circular and find that we have gone a bit too far, turn round and head back the right way. I knew I had enough petrol to get there.

Pulled off the North Circular to a slip road and the bike cuts out, I was so lucky this didn't happen on the North circular. I pull over and hubby says are you out of petrol. I tell him the lights not on but have a look anyway, it looks a bit empty so he goes off to borrow a can and then comes back and we fill the bike up.

It won't start, I have no power nothing, the alarm keeps going off and I just have no electrics.

By now its really hot and its around 15.00hrs. When I picked the bike up they said I had RAC cover but gave me no paper works, so I phone up enquires get put through and luckily they accept I have no paper work. Tell me it will be around 75 mins.

We try to move the bike but the alarm keeps going off, even when its just on the impbiliers. Hubby rides up to the ACE which is only half a mile away to ask the Triumph guy, he doesn't have a clue and comes back. By now I'm desperate for the loo so I have to get on the back of hubbys bike and go pillion, now I don't go pillion with any one, so this has pissed me off as well. I get to the ACE and shoot to the loo and ask a guy I've bumped into if he has an imobilieser, his Russian I think and tells me it could be a phone mask as he has the same thing happen. So I've now been to the loo and the triumph guy has told hubby it could be a relay.

We then go back to the bike where hubby takes off the cover and has a look at the relays, they are all fine. So then we try to move the bike, ( I have switched off the imobiliers) so then the alarm goes off and won't disarm, it then continues to go off for the next 10 minutes, very loudly. By now I could cry I'm so upset, our whole day is ruined and we are working so hard at the moment and it was ment to be a fun day. It finaly stops going and the RAC guy turns up. (his also a biker)

He has a look and checks the battery, fiddles with the imobilers, tells me they are a bit difficult and bugger me the bike starts working.

He says he will follow me to the petrol station to put a bit more in the bike to make sure it is running ok. I get 45 seconds up the road when the imobiliser kicks in while the bike is on. I get it too the garage where he runs a diagnostic on the bike and nothing is wrong. He then disconect the battery put the terminals together for 8 mins to reset it to factory settings. By now the time is around 18.30 I still didn't get to the ACE to enjoy myself and my day is ruined.

The bike seems to be running fine, but the guy is so nice he says he will follow us to the M40 to make sure nothing happpens to me. What a fantastic bloke, he was so kind.

The bike seems fine and I'm now home. Its ruined my enjoyment of the bike completely.

I don't know what to do tomorrow, should I make Swindon Triumph come and get it and put a new imobilser on it or just get it taken off?

The RAC guy was convinced it just kicked in, the light was on the dash to show that it had as well.

It could of been such a different story, especialy if it had happened on the North Circular or even the M40, it ruined the bike a bit for me.

Has this happened to anyone else.

Oh and the amount of Bikers and Triumph bikers that passed me and didn't even aknowlege me was shamefull, not one person stoped to ask if I was ok.

I'm really sad, I was going to do a write up of how I enjoyed the bike but this has ruined it so far for me.

I love riding this bike, its so easy, but from now on this will always be a worry in the back of my mind.Fi

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear that. I went to the Ace today and it was a great turn out with some great bikes. It sounds like I was long gone before your mishap but I like to think I would have stopped to help if I'd come across you stranded on a Bonnie.

It sounds to me like you should remove the immobilizer and toss it in the bin. You will never trust it again and it isn't worth the aggro. Buy a decent lock and always lock the steering and enjoy riding the bike.

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I was thinking of doing. I've only had it since last Wednesday so was going to tell Triumph to come and get it and take it out and give me my money back.

I'm starting to get a bit angry about it now, I'm going to phone them tomorrow and insist they check it over on Wednesday, the only time I can get over.

I know I was so looking forward to relaxing at the Ace having a look at all the bikes, meeting some new people, I believe Swindon RAT even had a ride out down there.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Thats what I was thinking of doing. I've only had it since last Wednesday so was going to tell Triumph to come and get it and take it out and give me my money back.

I'm starting to get a bit angry about it now, I'm going to phone them tomorrow and insist they check it over on Wednesday, the only time I can get over.

I know I was so looking forward to relaxing at the Ace having a look at all the bikes, meeting some new people, I believe Swindon RAT even had a ride out down there.
There are so many more, much more positive miles to be had, Rose. Do you remember getting caught out in the cold rain the first time? It happens, those times are no fun but as others have said, Rip the imobilizer out, buy some good locks and go with it.

Living where I do, there isn't much theft and the general public wouldn't put hands on someone's bike but different places demand precautions. Locks generally won't strand you on the side of the road, but they won't stop a determined thief, either - nor will the electronics though.

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I learnt to ride in the rain and cold:) Theres not a feeling like it knowing you have the right kit on and it works.

The ride up until that point was brilliant, the bike handles well, is easier to ride than the Honda and it was just so much fun. I truly do love this bike. She instills confidence and now I've got over a 100miles in, the tyres are even better:)

This just really put the dampners on it this afternoon and you have to admit its a worry and would be for anyone. I've only been riding a year and its a bit of worry to be honest.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I learnt to ride in the rain and cold:) Theres not a feeling like it knowing you have the right kit on and it works.

The ride up until that point was brilliant, the bike handles well, is easier to ride than the Honda and it was just so much fun. I truly do love this bike. She instills confidence and now I've got over a 100miles in, the tyres are even better:)

This just really put the dampners on it this afternoon and you have to admit its a worry and would be for anyone. I've only been riding a year and its a bit of worry to be honest.
I'm not sure my 2007 T100 has such a system, but it is possible, I guess. I took my MSF class in near-freezing weather, with 40-50mph wind gusts; I can take it as well, but its not as nice as a sunny afternoon. I wish you good with the dealer(s) and many happy visits to the ACE... They really are nice bikes! Don't let a little teething trouble soil your long term view.

Cheers!!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Is this alarm/immobiliser the Triumph branded Datatool item or some other random device your dealer chose to fit? If it's the latter, then get the dealer to fit the former, either way they need to sort it out. I've had the Triumph/Datatool alarm on my T100 for over 4 years and it's never given me any agro. I did have some trouble with a Datatool alarm on my previous bike because the buffoon who fitted it (a main dealer and supposed Datatool certified agent) spliced the wiring in to the low fuel warning light which caused the alarm and immobiliser to kick in when I got low on fuel, but it's a bit hard to fit the Triumph alarm incorrectly because it just plugs in to the wiring loom using a pre-fitted connector.

·
Registered
495 Posts
... but it's a bit hard to fit the Triumph alarm incorrectly because it just plugs in to the wiring loom using a pre-fitted connector.
Sounds like removing it should be easy, too then.... :)

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is this alarm/immobiliser the Triumph branded Datatool item or some other random device your dealer chose to fit? If it's the latter, then get the dealer to fit the former, either way they need to sort it out. I've had the Triumph/Datatool alarm on my T100 for over 4 years and it's never given me any agro. I did have some trouble with a Datatool alarm on my previous bike because the buffoon who fitted it (a main dealer and supposed Datatool certified agent) spliced the wiring in to the low fuel warning light which caused the alarm and immobiliser to kick in when I got low on fuel, but it's a bit hard to fit the Triumph alarm incorrectly because it just plugs in to the wiring loom using a pre-fitted connector.

Its really interesting that you say that. I knew I had enough petrol, but also knew I was a bit low. I had just pulled off onto the slip road and the bike cut out. Hubby said had I run out of petrol and I said no, my warning light hasn't even come on yet. We had a look and it was pretty low, so he went off to get some. After that it still wouldn't start.

The Imobiliser (little red light) was on as I rolled to a stop. I will certainly mention it when they have it in and check it over.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Sounds like removing it should be easy, too then.... :)
In theory it is if it's the Triumph alarm and the dealer gives you the blanking plug with the jumpers that they removed during the install... But as I said before, in my experience, if it's installed correctly it is a reliable device. I don't know Rose's dealer, but from what I can gather from her posts her experience with them has been less than satisfactory and they should be made to sort this issue out. Presumably Rose requested that the alarm be fitted for a reason, so removing it wouldn't be a satisfactory solution.

·
30,517 Posts
Well that sucks Rose, plain and simple.

At this point - give the dealer hell. They will make it right, and you will be able to get out and enjoy your bike yet, I am sure of it.

make use of the warranty. You paid for all that Triumph stuff, make them make it right.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I understand that your upset and that your day was ruined but it is nothing that can't be fixed. Yes it is a pain in the arse. OH WELL.
No need for the drama, try and remain flexable.

I say this as someone who has seen and been through a lot worse.

It is very easy to bee light and happy when it is all going your way, it's when the chips are down and it's time to ruck up that people find out what your really made of.

I love riding this bike, its so easy, but from now on this will always be a worry in the back of my mind
You'll get over it. Or not. What are you made of?

take it easy, this to shall pass.
m es

cause it's all fun and games up untill it really hits the fan. And it will, give it time

·
Registered
127 Posts
A
Oh and the amount of Bikers and Triumph bikers that passed me and didn't even aknowlege me was shamefull, not one person stoped to ask if I was ok.

yep been there and it is shameful. something that really winds me up, i got taught on older motorcycling principles by my dad. and stopping just to ask if someone needs help is a small favour, but one that means alot when u are broken down(if u need help or not). same with nodding, most people look at u like your mad.

sorry to hear about the bike :(

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I understand that your upset and that your day was ruined but it is nothing that can't be fixed. Yes it is a pain in the arse. OH WELL.
No need for the drama, try and remain flexable.

I say this as someone who has seen and been through a lot worse.

It is very easy to bee light and happy when it is all going your way, it's when the chips are down and it's time to ruck up that people find out what your really made of.

You'll get over it. Or not. What are you made of?

take it easy, this to shall pass.
m es
cause it's all fun and games up untill it really hits the fan. And it will, give it time

Your correct I will get over it...........From start to finish getting this bike has been a total pain in the arse. I ordered in the first week in April, was told two weeks and I only got it last Wednesday. Once in the showroom it had come with all the wrong stuff, they didn't have the extras I'd asked for the bike (at time of ordering in April). I picked up the bike which was a let down.

I was excited about this weekend as I don't much time off, unless its the school holidays. I'm more disapointed for hubby, who was wonderful yesterday staying with me and putting up with the alarm continuously going off and me getting more and more anyoyed. Think of your own partners when they get a hissy fit on.

This will blurr down to experience to be laughed about at a later date, but not yet. Its too raw at the moment to even put to the back of my mind.

I'm actualy more concerned that it could happen again and the outcome could of been very different.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
getting this bike has been a total pain in the arse. I ordered in the first week in April, was told two weeks and I only got it last Wednesday. Once in the showroom it had come with all the wrong stuff, they didn't have the extras I'd asked for the bike (at time of ordering in April)
That will take the shine off the apple all right. Pity about that. That kind of crap really pisses me off and I would have been more than a little pissed off.

I'm actualy more concerned that it could happen again and the outcome could of been very different.
That is a real concern. These bikes should be rock solid dependable.

that's f'ed up. Allways slow down and look for a thumbs up or a signal.
It use to be, in the states anyway, that if you needed help you would put your helmet on the ground at the edge of the road. I doubt anybody knows that one anymore.

You were actually pretty lucky in that you were with somebody and you weren't far from help.
all in all, it could have been worse.
They could have bombed your chippy.
You'll get it sorted.

·
Registered
317 Posts
what a bugger, bad & sad ,
feeling sorry for you, I guess that may be something a lot of buyers of the EFI models may experience,

their so high tech now, not like a 2008 carby model, simple & yet easy to fathom out any worries should any occure. hope you enjoy your next trip though, keep smiling ! :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Dealer

Your correct I will get over it...........From start to finish getting this bike has been a total pain in the arse. I ordered in the first week in April, was told two weeks and I only got it last Wednesday. Once in the showroom it had come with all the wrong stuff, they didn't have the extras I'd asked for the bike (at time of ordering in April). I picked up the bike which was a let down.

I was excited about this weekend as I don't much time off, unless its the school holidays. I'm more disapointed for hubby, who was wonderful yesterday staying with me and putting up with the alarm continuously going off and me getting more and more anyoyed. Think of your own partners when they get a hissy fit on.

This will blurr down to experience to be laughed about at a later date, but not yet. Its too raw at the moment to even put to the back of my mind.

What a bugger all round, sounds more like you have a crap dealer. I've had a couple of Bonnies now, never had a problem. If the dealer can't get the accessories, why not? If you were in the rest of the world I could understand it, but you are in England.
Sounds like you need a new dealer. :mad::mad:

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
Rose, I'm really sorry you've had a bad experience with the dealer and with the lack of help from other bikers. Dealers are only human and they all make mistakes but the other bikers should be ashamed of themselves.

My take on the immobiliser thing is that a determined thief will steal my bike regardless of countermeasures so what I'm trying to do is deter casual or opportunistic thieves. With that in mind I've gone for a highly visible, very noisy, disc lock.

As others have said, the immobiliser has the greater capacity to inconvenience you. I like being able to remove the lock altogether so it can't interfere.

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update

I phoned today and got the Manager to phone me back. I listed when I spoke to him my buying experience from start to finish, ending with the trouble yesterday.

To his credit he was horrified that it has been as bad as it has been. The bike has been collected and another SE left in its place. He is really concerned about what has happend (that or his a really good actor). They will let me know what is happening with the bike.
I should also be getting the paperwork for the RAC and all credit to them for helping me yesterday without any paperwork.

It is possible it is the ECU as the fuel pump did not turn on, but then again that is all part of the Imobilser set up and has been discussed its difficult to muck up the fitting of the alarm as it just plugs in.

I'll just have to wait and see what the outcome is.

I will however be sending a letter to Triumph about my experience.

·
30,517 Posts
Well it sounds like the dealer is standing by you - which is great.

It sounds like they will get this straightened out. Stick with it - I know this is utterly annoying, but once resolved you are going to just love the bike.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts