Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a set of Avons Roadriders for the Thrux and I have only done about 100 miles on them but it feels like I am riding on a knife edge. It feels very wobbly or tipsy. (hard to explain) But very different than the stock Metzlers that I was used to. Anyone else have this feeling? Is this something that will go away with break in?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've been running a Roadrider on the rear for about 1k miles now and haven't noticed the feeling.

What are you running for pressures? Could be the newer tires are less rounded-off than the old Metzlers?

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Are the tires installed correctly (right direction, dot lined up with valve stem)?
Are they balanced?
Did the person that mounted your tires drop/damage the wheel?
Are your axle shafts tight?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My old tires lasted me about 13,000 miles, so I was pretty used to them. But I checked the pressure and the front was really low. Around 20 PSI. I guess I just assumed the shop would have filled it correctly and I wouldn't have to worry about it. But after filling the tires to 38, it rides much better. Thanks for the advice. Damn those easy answers.

·
Registered
2004 Thruxton
294 Posts
I recently got a set of Avons Roadriders for the Thrux and I have only done about 100 miles on them but it feels like I am riding on a knife edge. It feels very wobbly or tipsy. (hard to explain) But very different than the stock Metzlers that I was used to. Anyone else have this feeling? Is this something that will go away with break in?
Even though you've sorted this out, I know exactly what you're talking about. I run my Avon in the high 30s and have had them for over 1000 miles but they are not very confidence inpsiring -- especially while leaned over in the rain (which is over 50" year in my town). They always feel like they are about to slip (which they've done once in a lean).

I prefer the stable feeling the Metzelers give and will probably go back to them next time (or look for something else new and sticky).

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hmm, thats the first I have heard of the Avons slipping. I was thinking of switching to either the Pirellis or the Avons, and up until this thread, I had only heard that they were a vast improvement.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Hmm, thats the first I have heard of the Avons slipping. I was thinking of switching to either the Pirellis or the Avons, and up until this thread, I had only heard that they were a vast improvement.
Same here - but these are Roadriders - not the ones folks are typically raving about. Most folks are reviewing the Azzaros, Venoms, and Storms. Roadriders are old-tech bias ply tires. The other versions are dual compound, variable belt density radials. The tech is apples and oranges.

·
Registered
2004 Thruxton
294 Posts
Same here - but these are Roadriders - not the ones folks are typically raving about. Most folks are reviewing the Azzaros, Venoms, and Storms. Roadriders are old-tech bias ply tires. The other versions are dual compound, variable belt density radials. The tech is apples and oranges.

Ahh ... maybe next time I'll get a specific tire instead of just letting the shop pick my Avons -- thus Roadriders.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Ahh ... maybe next time I'll get a specific tire instead of just letting the shop pick my Avons -- thus Roadriders.
You know, those tires should be pretty decent for folks that like putting around.... I think that dealers often do not think of Bonnie riders as folks that are looking for performance!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thruxton05 said:
might be a bit late coming in on this but here goes anyway.
i have avon roadriders on my thruxton in standard sizes, they are fine and i don`t hang about. i emailed avon about the pressures and they said 33psi front and 37psi rear. the only thing i found was the mould releasing agent on the tyres took some scrubbing off. i would give it another careful 100 miles and i`m sure things will improve.
by all means check everything is tight but i think 100 miles isn`t enough to bed them in.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks, better late than never.

I did have to adjust the tire pressure, and since then they do feel much better. one friend of mine said a tire needs 500 miles of break in. I don't know if I can hold out that long, but I am definately going to take it easy for a while longer.

·
Registered
384 Posts
AVON scrub-in

Just had had the Storm & Azarro put on. Called Avon, and the tech recommended 125 - 150 miles to scrub in. He also said with the water-based mold release they now use, 4 or 5 heat cycles also helps.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I have Roadriders on my Thruxton . Do a lot of aggressive backroad riding and occasional sport touring and such . Mine are great . Might want to give them some time and wear them in some (2-300mi) before you make a final opinion. I was surprised to see on how I ride I managed to get 9+k out of my rear and still have plenty of meat on the front . If I didn't clutchbreak into corners and ride like a twat I would think I'd get at least 10-11k out of them . Great tires , Man. Give em a shot . If they're still crappy get your $$ back.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
just curious, why does it take 200-500 miles to "scrub in" a set of tires? race bikes go through a new set of tires every race...

·
Registered
384 Posts
race bike scrub-in?

Good Q! Since they get such a relatively short tire life compared to street tires, I wonder if the higher tire temps they run and the different carcasses on race tires have anything to do with it.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Most of race teams actually pre-srcub their tires, and also use tire warmers to pre-heat them....

Even with that, you should see how quick these guys go down through the first sets of turns on an unusally cool morning. I do corner work, and have had a real workout on turn 1 during early spring mornings....

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
just curious, why does it take 200-500 miles to "scrub in" a set of tires? race bikes go through a new set of tires every race...
Usually 50-100 to work off that cosmoline on the tires . But it depends on how some ride . Mostly it matters that and for the rider to adjust to the change of the different tires . Kinda sounds like hogwash but if you think about it it's not .Anything over 300 is extreme but t determines on the rider. 2-300 miles for me at least . That usually sums up a good days riding for me at least .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts