Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I seem to remember a discussion on avons failing 10 years or so ago. Something to do with a sticker that caused damage. Tonight I removed an Avon road rider from my Suzuki and was surprise by what I found inside. A load of rubber granules. The granules are softish rubber that breaks when squeezed hard. There appears to be what was a foil sticker in there. Tyre was 8 years old and was almost, but not quite, touching the wear indicator patches.

Ring a bell to anyone?

Anyone seen this before?

Gesture Finger Wood Wrist Thumb

Automotive tire Tire Tread Synthetic rubber Grey

Plant Organism Font Tree Fruit

Insect Arthropod Gesture Grey Finger

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
When i fitted an Avon Roadrider, there was a sticker inside like that one. After 4 days use, the metal sticker cut the inner tube. I now make sure there are no stickers inside any tyre fitted with a tube. No rubber balls in the tyre but i have seen that happen in many car tyres.. There is a tyre balancing system that uses small balls to do the balancing. Not tried it though

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
It might have been me posting the label issue about 10 years back. I have found the Avon to be a really good tyre except for this fault. Maybe if the label was paper it would not happen at all but my label was aluminium foil. On a tubed tyre, the balance balls would be inserted through the valve core into the tube.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I’ve seen these little balls a lot in off-road tyres which run tubes at low pressure (1 Bar or less) to improve grip. I think it’s just the friction of the tube moving against the carcass rolling up tiny balls of rubber.

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
When my boys used to fit tyres on cars, the rubber balls were often found. They had not been put in there but i still dont know how they form in the tyre.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Eight years is old enough to replace, anyway. I had Shinkos that developed trash inside and blisters in the tread. Must not have been fully cured, or couldn't handle the GL1800 they were "designed" for.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When my boys used to fit tyres on cars, the rubber balls were often found. They had not been put in there but i still dont know how they form in the tyre.
Seems to be the experience on the web, often seen but folks not sure how it happens. I dropped Avon a line and will keep folks posted if I get a return.

This was on my Suzuki so was in tubeless tyre use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts