Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 9000 miles and a flat on my original Pirelli tires I replaced them with the Avon Storm tires. My first impression is they're better around turns, just seem more sure footed. The ride doesn't seem any different. We'll see how much mileage I can get. Just an FYI. I looked for different tires then the originals, wasn't impressed with handling. The only alternative I could find that one brand had both front and backs was Avon.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Tyres are very sunjective what suits some are a fail for others. I like Avons all around. If these suit your riding stay with them. Also you don't have to fit the exact sizes as the stock tyres, but you knew that.

PS.. out of curiosity I just checked with Bike Bandit and found over 20 tyre options F/R for the T120.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tyres are very sunjective what suits some are a fail for others. I like Avons all around. If these suit your riding stay with them. Also you don't have to fit the exact sizes as the stock tyres, but you knew that.

PS.. out of curiosity I just checked with Bike Bandit and found over 20 tyre options F/R for the T120.
Bike bandit it is difficult to find both the front and rear tyre in stock size of a single brand

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
After 9000 miles and a flat on my original Pirelli tires I replaced them with the Avon Storm tires. My first impression is they're better around turns, just seem more sure footed. The ride doesn't seem any different. We'll see how much mileage I can get. Just an FYI. I looked for different tires then the originals, wasn't impressed with handling. The only alternative I could find that one brand had both front and backs was Avon.
You really got 9000 miles out of your Pirellis? I'm at 3600 miles on my Street Twin and I'm at the wear bars on the center. I'm thinking pretty strongly about the Avons since they're more of a modern sport touring tire and should get much better mileage.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You really got 9000 miles out of your Pirellis? I'm at 3600 miles on my Street Twin and I'm at the wear bars on the center. I'm thinking pretty strongly about the Avons since they're more of a modern sport touring tire and should get much better mileage.
Yes, it had about 1000 miles remaining on the tread but had a 2 inch sheet rock screw shorten the life.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmooring // dare I ask for an update on the Avons ? I'm really disappointed in the wet handling of the Pirellis.
I placed the new Avons on my bike at the end of last year. I only have a couple hundred miles on them and what I can say is they handle a ton better than the stock Pirelli's. How long they last well only time will tell.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks a lot ! At least there's a model to look forward to. I've seen positive reviews of the Avon Storms, but only for bigger sport-touring bikes soooo... well we'll see =)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Good to hear about the Avon's. I put some Avon's on my 99 Legend and they were the best. I have about 6k miles on my T120 and will probably go that route when the stock tires are done. I've also had good luck with the Continental Road Attack tires. If anyone has tried those, I'd like to hear about them too. Thanks

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
9,000 miles on the original tires! Not bad at all. I've got only just over 3,000 on mine and the rear tire shows no signs of wearing down yet.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I placed the new Avons on my bike at the end of last year. I only have a couple hundred miles on them and what I can say is they handle a ton better than the stock Pirelli's. How long they last well only time will tell.
Any chance you've put any more miles on these? I've read a few complaints about these tires slipping in the wet and I'm trying to figure out if it's an issue for me. I've ridden some Dunlop tires that slipped if I got heavy with the brakes. I wonder if these would be worse or better.

Anyone else put the Storm 3D X-M on their T120? I'm at 8,000 miles and over-due for a change.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
I will echo what I've said on another thread regarding the Avon's. They handled and rode a lot better then the stock Pirelli's. They turn in quicker and are very sticky. However, for me they only lasted about the same as the stock tires, about 7000 miles. I replaced the Avon Storm 3D's with a set of Avon Spirit ST's, the Storm's replacement. They seem good as well but I only have a couple hundred miles on them.

For me, it seems that I will be putting new tires on every 7000 miles. Some people get a lot more then that but I am thinking they are not riding in the temperatures I have (way over 100 in the summer) nor at the sustained speeds I ride. I probably could get more miles if I slowed down but not conducive to where I live and ride.

·
Banned
1,207 Posts
Dunlop Roadsmart III's if you can get them in your size... Wear well, but have the dual compound and so the sides are soft like the Q3... Best of both worlds... longer wear, but you can rail on them and even do a track day if you wanted to, at least unless you are running a race pace... I have them on my Street Cup, and also had a set on my 2017 Speed Triple S and they were awesome in the mtns and twisties...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts