Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I I was informed by the importer that the Spirits are more suited to the track and the Storms more suited to the road. The Spirits wont last as long either (apparently). Got 13,000kms out of my front Pirelli and still plenty of kms left in the rear.
Not sure who takes a all-weather touring tire to the track...

I’m already getting more life out of the Spirits than I did out of the pirellis, and I often ride two up loaded panniers.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
I have a Storm 3D on order for the front (2 more weeks). I was informed by the importer that the Spirits are more suited to the track and the Storms more suited to the road. The Spirits wont last as long either (apparently). Got 13,000kms out of my front Pirelli and still plenty of kms left in the rear.
The Storms have been discontinued. The Spirits have replaced them. I put a set of Spirits on in July to replace the worn out Storms. I only got 6600 miles out of the front Storm. That was all I got out of the stock Pirellis as well. I figure these new Avons will follow suit.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have Road Riders on my T-100 and my CB (been through several sets). Great life, great handling, predictable. Can't go wrong with them

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Put Conti Road Attack 3s on my 120 when the front Pirelli was done. Wish I’d done it thousands of miles earlier. Transformed the bike.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The Storms have been discontinued. The Spirits have replaced them. I put a set of Spirits on in July to replace the worn out Storms. I only got 6600 miles out of the front Storm. That was all I got out of the stock Pirellis as well. I figure these new Avons will follow suit.
The Storms are still listed on the Avon UK site.

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
They didn't give me a confident feeling when corning. They would tramline. At least those are the things I remember. Been years since I had them on the bike.
Is there any tire that reduces “tramlining” compared to the stock Phantoms?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I got 12,500 km of the stock Pirelli front tire, same with the Avon Storm. The rear lasted 25,000 km on the stock and the Storm rear shows it will go the same distance or more. unable to purchase a replacement front Storm and was told by the dealer that it has been replaced by the Spirit. No complaints with the Avon Spirit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got 12,500 km of the stock Pirelli front tire, same with the Avon Storm. The rear lasted 25,000 km on the stock and the Storm rear shows it will go the same distance or more. unable to purchase a replacement front Storm and was told by the dealer that it has been replaced by the Spirit. No complaints with the Avon Spirit.
I have just ordered front and rear Storms for my Street Twin. They are available in the UK. The Spirit is the later tyre and will cost more - more profit for the dealer but the Storm is still available.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have just ordered front and rear Storms for my Street Twin. They are available in the UK. The Spirit is the later tyre and will cost more - more profit for the dealer but the Storm is still available.
The Spirit tires are less expensive than the Storms in Canada. front $133 vs $161 and rear $171 vs $202.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Is the front a radial? I assume both take tubes?
I bel
Is the front a radial? I assume both take tubes?
I believe that it is. And yes, I stayed with tubes. I have thought about sealing the spokes but the tubes have been fine. My understanding that the stock front was a bias ply was for a stiffer sidewall and that maybe it is better for blowouts. However, both the Storms and the Spirits handle very well. I will see how it wears but not holding my breath.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Am loving the Avon AM26s. Have yet to ride with them in the rain, but otherwise my T120's handling (which wasn't bad at all) is noticeably improved over the stock Pirellis. The Avons are particularly nice in the corners, inspiring great confidence. Cornering feedback from the Pirellis was a little vague.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've been through three sets of the Roadrider and I will probably keep buying them for as long as Avon keeps selling them. They have more than enough grip for a Bonneville, last at least 9-10k miles and have an attractive-looking tread pattern for what that's worth.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts