Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear fellows,

I'll replace Pirelli front tire with Avon. Should I choose Storm 3D or RoadRider AM26? What are the differences? Are both available on the market?

Thanks.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I replaced my stock Pirelli's with Storm 3's last year. They are very nice riding and handling tires that are much better then the Pirelli's. Regardless, I've only got 6000 miles on them and the front is gone. Avon had a 15K warranty deal running before I bought the tires but it wasn't in effect when I purchased. My dealer is going to cut me a deal on a new set so it sort of works out but 6000 miles seems kind of short. I am not an overly aggressive rider but I do ride where it is hot (well over 100 degrees all of the summer). The front also developed pitting and this causes a noticeable shake on low speed tight corners. This didn't happen until around 5500 miles though. The rear still has good tread but has squared quite a bit but not as quickly as some have for me in the past (I do lots of long mile days).

I will be replacing the Avon's next week. Not sure what I will go with. I guess I am starting to hear that 6000 miles for the front of the T120 is about normal. Seems short to me. Oh well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very short, indeed. My front Pirelli has got 24.000Km, but I find since day 1 it's not a tyre with a good grip, mostly with wet weather.
Maybe Avon Spirit ST are better choices? Or the Roadriders? I don't know...

·
Registered
510 Posts
They didn't give me a confident feeling when corning. They would tramline. At least those are the things I remember. Been years since I had them on the bike.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Dear fellows,

I'll replace Pirelli front tire with Avon. Should I choose Storm 3D or RoadRider AM26? What are the differences? Are both available on the market?

Thanks.:wink2:
Best front i have used to date is the avon cobra. I'm on #4 but it;s the new version called "cobra chrome" thats supposedly is improved in both performance and mileage. I get around 11-13k miles out of them and thats with 1/2 the tread sill left in the center because i wore the sides out twice as fast as the center ! Thats probably why they handle so well, the sides are soft. Yet thats still 2-5k more then i get out of other fronts. And if you don't spend a lot of time in the twisties riding spirited the center will likely wear the same as the center and you may get 217-20k out of them. But the handling is better then anything i have used including the new spirit series. The spirit rear however is the best back there to date beating the storm 3D, commander, metzeler, dunlop elite and bridgestone exedra max. Great great rear tire on the bird. To me the spirit rear and cobra front is the best setup to date. 3D rear is good too, but the spirit is noticably better and lasts longer.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
If you access any good Tyre site you can see a lot of reviews of a tyre you are thinking about on a lot of different machines. Always helpful.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you access any good Tyre site you can see a lot of reviews of a tyre you are thinking about on a lot of different machines. Always helpful.
Thanks Vitesse! I’ve already read some reviews and watched YouTube for that purpose. Right now I like to taptalk with people like me who can advise me based on their everyday experience. I never had such bad tires as the stock Pirelli, especially the front tire. I don’t want to fail my next choice. All the best.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Tyres Battlax BT 45 for T120

Has anyone used or know of anyone using the BT45 with tubes Im thinking fitting them next year ,, your kind thoughts please

·
Registered
399 Posts
Has anybody tried the Avon Storm 3D X-M tires yet?

They are supposed to be sport touring tire built for the likes of the Hayabusa and Kawi/Suzuki 1400 bikes so probably a little longer lasting but still sticky enough for a Bonnie.

They look like a good choice to me.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Has anybody tried the Avon Storm 3D X-M tires yet?

They are supposed to be sport touring tire built for the likes of the Hayabusa and Kawi/Suzuki 1400 bikes so probably a little longer lasting but still sticky enough for a Bonnie.

They look like a good choice to me.
Just fitted one of these to the rear of the Thruxton to replace the the badly squared off rosso Corsa, the dealer had already fitted an Avon 3D hypersport to the front so they sort of match now.
Only ridden it for about 20 miles so far but already got it to the edge of the tyre, there aren't many modern sports touring tyres that don't offer enough side grip for the average rider on the road.
I've got the Avon 3D hypersport on the Daytona 675 and I found it a great tyre for the budget price, just didn't last very long on the rear, so I'm hoping this harder wearing version will fare better on the Thruxton.

·
Registered
489 Posts
FYI - as far as I know, the Avon Storm was superceded by the Spirit St. Anyone considering the Storm should check the date code. They may be new but could be 2-3 yrs old.

I can’t compare them, but the Spirits are very good tires imo.

Here is what the Spirit looks like,

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
FYI - as far as I know, the Avon Storm was superceded by the Spirit St.
This is correct. I searched for storms high and low and couldn’t find them anywhere locally, despite them still being listed in Avon’s site.

Most reviews of the spirit ST refer to it as an updated version of the storm.

I installed them and they’re worlds better than the stock pirellis with improved turn in.

They’re supposed to last much longer too. I’ve been on the spirits for more than 5000 now and they barely show any wear.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
tsmggy Thanks for that , will fit for next year
You'll like them. I fit Bridgestone tubes too, because they don't slowly leak down like those used with the OEM Pirellis.

I'm going with Avon AM26 Roadriders on my T120 this time. I've bought them but have not yet had them fitted.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a Storm 3D on order for the front (2 more weeks). I was informed by the importer that the Spirits are more suited to the track and the Storms more suited to the road. The Spirits wont last as long either (apparently). Got 13,000kms out of my front Pirelli and still plenty of kms left in the rear.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts