Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some Avon Road Rider tires put on my W650 and they feel really nice. Has anyone else used these tires and how do you like them? Did you get good wear out of them ?

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I dont have any experience with the road riders but I do with the Storms and Rangers (truck tires). The Storms where amazing on my Sprint ST and when the rubber on my Bonnie wears out I will be replacing them with Avons that will fit.

Avons are consitantly in the top when tested by magazines and are by far the best bang for the buck. Love 'em.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yep, I have had them on a few bikes although not a Bonnie yet. They are good real life tyres IMHO.

I always fit Avon where possible to all vehicles in the family.

I am a bit biased though - I used to work for them 30 odd years ago, and the factory is only a few miles away from where I live, so money goes into the local economy. Of course they are owned by Cooper Tires from the US so I guess you get a $ or two find its way over the pond too.

That said, they are still darned good tyres.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I have them on my thruxton...if you're familiar with the tyres they replaced, they're not as sticky as the supervenoms, but better than the roadrunners. Overall, a good tire and more to my liking than the stock Metzlers.

My favorite street tyre is still the Pirelli Sport demons...they're *almost* as good as the supervenoms were.

Cheers,

--Rich

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I have the Roadriders on my 77 bonnie and they are great;I'll put some on my 05 bonnie when it's time for fresh tires.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I've had a 140/70/17 Roadrider on the rear and a Venom on the front for about 1,000mi and I really like them. Good handleing, don't know on the wear yet. I was told they were discontinuing the front 100/90/19 so I got the venom for an extra $10.00.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Anyone here running a 150 on the rear?
I have one ready to install on my '09 Bonneville. (Metz)

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I have Roadriders on my Thrux . Great tire . Put 7800 miles on them over the season and held up great . I thrashed them and the front still has plenty of meat . I'm replacing the rear with a 150/70-17 or a 140/80-17 in the spring .

·
Registered
83 Posts
Bike mag's pick

I may be behind the curve being on this side of the pond, but I just picked up the newest Bike magazine. They tested cross ply tires and picked the Avon Roadriders as their favorite. The Lazertecs were well down the list and not well liked, but they had nice comments for the Bridgestones we see as OEM on some Bonnies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After reading this forum several years ago I went with Avon Roadriders 140/80-17 100/90-19 on the '06 T100, and whilst I agree with the comments about handling and stiction - great on both counts wet and dry andvastly superior to the Metzelers in the wet (I commute round trip 50 miles work and back - rain/shine/ice, and usually out at weekends for a ride somewhere or other and occasional trip to France) - I will never look at Avon again....

Two sets of tyres - wear well etc - rear tyre on first set had sidewall cracking and Avon not interested to hear this.
Rear tyre on second set (giving them another chance - again following this forum view that splitting was a blip in manufacturing) - has severe centre stripe splits (while tyre still has centre stripes).
Won't use them again until I see a guarantee from Avon against this defect.
So Dunlop Arrowmax this time round - see how they survive.

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Two sets of tyres - wear well etc - rear tyre on first set had sidewall cracking and Avon not interested to hear this.
Rear tyre on second set (giving them another chance - again following this forum view that splitting was a blip in manufacturing) - has severe centre stripe splits (while tyre still has centre stripes).

So Dunlop Arrowmax this time round - see how they survive.
if I recall that was an issue (splits in the centre tread) on a batch a couple of years back that has been addressed and tyre dealers were happy to replace the tyre free under warranty.

I too had one with the split, and as I only noticed when out in the back of nowhere hundreds of miles away from the nearest town, was forced to ride with it; ended up keeping it until the tyre was bald.

have had two subsequent rear Road Riders and no further problems, so I'm happy with them

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Won't use them again until I see a guarantee from Avon against this defect.
This is consistent with my experience in Spring 2009. After posting in this thread, I went on to have deep cracking in 2 rear tires (original + one replacement) and then the front. Less the 5,000 miles out of 2 rears and about the same mileage from the front.

Since that time I've run Pirelli Sport Demons and now Dunlop 501s. Both quite sticky and confidence inspiring in the wet...

Regards,

--Rich

1 - 13 of 13 Posts