Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to change my GT501's 100/90/19 and 150/70/17.

I want to try a 140/80/17 at the rear now.

I like to lean into the twisties.

Which tires do you recommend?

Max/New York

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Unfortunately, we are rather limited in choice of sport/road tires for sizes. I am also looking for something a little more performance oriented but nothing really sizes right up. The Avons LOOK good and should work.

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/?page=tyres&method=showspecs&id=18

But I am not sure. I hope this forum can give us both ideas. I know the bike is not a pure road racer, but I do not go long miles on the Bonneville and just want it to perform better. The stock Bridgestones are great tires, especially wet, or the Michelin Lazers give a bit of an increase in turning capability.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I just bought a pair of Sport Demons for my Scrambler. The dealer recommended them when I told him I wanted to have a more aggressive street tire. I went up a size in the back to a 140. They are mounted, however, I have the front forks at Race Tech so I can't give any type of riding report yet. The 140 rear looks good and I can't wait to get on the road. What makes it worse is that it will be in the 60's this weekend and I won't be able to ride.

I will post a report once I get them mounted - unfortunately it probably won't be for a few weeks.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I Love Sport Demons!

If you go to a 140, go 140/70 not 80!

Great Tires!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Go with your designer name tires, seek out the "sticky", be satisfied with your short tire life, I'm STILL in love with the Avon Azaro's. Had 'em on different bikes, even the Bonneville, plan to put some on my FZ1.

It's all about which sales pitch you care to subscribe to, or the comments posted by those who have had either a variety of tires or keep returning to a favorite tire.

The GT501 front tire seems to cup early and easily, causing head shake. The rear seems to be juuuust fine though. It is said that the Demon is a variation of, or one in the same with a Metzler..... I don't know; but folks who ride aggressively LOVE them! The Metzler Laser is spoken of favorably too.

But I like the tire life of an Azaro, the confidence they give you on high speed sweepers, the stability they offer if you load your bike up with a passenger and/or luggage. And the Azaro's are not inclined to follow rain grooves in the freeway or those directional steel grates over bridges.

[ This message was edited by: FattRat on 2006-12-13 09:24 ]

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've enjoyed the Azaro's on the Thrux, and used up several sets of the original Azaro's on my old Katana 600. They ride with a smoothness and steer lightly.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On 2006-12-13 11:18, WANG wrote:
I've enjoyed the Azaro's on the Thrux, and used up several sets of the original Azaro's on my old Katana 600. They ride with a smoothness and steer lightly.
How about the grip? I really like to lean the bike (not rare that I scrape my pegs...)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On 2006-12-13 09:23, FattRat wrote:

But I like the tire life of an Azaro, the confidence they give you on high speed sweepers, the stability they offer if you load your bike up with a passenger and/or luggage. And the Azaro's are not inclined to follow rain grooves in the freeway or those directional steel grates over bridges.
Good to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
404 Posts
60's too cold???? The lack of front forks is the reason I won't be riding. Although, I saw some idiot on Superbikes last night that rode a stunt bike with no front end - just a back tire. Kind of like a unicycle for morons.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
With regard to riding aggressively on the Avon Azaro's, some people claim that they're FANTASTIC during the first half of their life, but seem to "slip or slide" when pushed to their limit after a couple thousand miles on 'em.

I can't say as I have had any problems like that with them, and I've gone through a half a dozen sets....
- but -
I may not be THAT astute, or I might ride only on this side of crazy. Perhaps I'm not as fast a rider as those who claim the Azaro's "feel" like they're slipping after some miles been put on them.....

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yes, you can scrape pegs with (w)reckless abandon with the Avon's. Then again, you can do that with the OEM tires, too.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I believe Pirelli makes the Sport Demons, (but I'm not sure how to spell 'Pirelli')..... and then it's being said that quite a few tires made by Metzler is getting the Pirelli name stamped on them.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Why 140/70 and not 80 ?
Since no one else answered.
The 70s have a lower sidewall profile and will not be so inclined to roll (deform) on you if you push them really hard.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts