Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've been thinking about fitting an aps (handy for trips away) but I can't find a picture of how they look or where the fit. Has anyone got a picture they could submit. Thanks

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I assume you are talking about "making your own" because the Triumph "Accessory Plug" comes with good instructions and pics. It is located under the tank on the top-back engine mount link (right side of bike). It comes with an "L" bracket and the "John Deere" socket already wired with a connector to fit one of the "extra" connectors taped to the wire bundle under your tank. I believe that connector under the tank is taped to the wire bundle with blue tape for identification. This plug is not switched (always hot), and when installed, the accessory plug can be used for a battery charger or an pump among the many other uses. I would not recommend using this plug for heated clothing--I would install a switched outlet for heated clothing, IMHO.

Sorry, I have no pics, and I ran out of words before reaching a thousand.:D

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
I too want one of these, and I've heard that you also need a Powerlet (?) adapter if you want to use something that has a regular lighter plug.

Propforward has one mounted on the bracket under his tank, I'm sure he's got a picture of it.

-K

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Here is a line drawing that should help

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n284/bcgilligan/?action=view&current=Triumph12voutlet.jpg

I've used one of the Triumph plugs for the past couple of years to (a) plug in an electric heated vest, and (b) to plug in the BatteryTender.

Yes, you do need a Powerlet male plug. Or if you're close to a BMW shop, they may have one in stock they can sell you. Some John Deere tractors use them. Beemer has been using these plugs for several years (my 1985 K100RS came with one).

In case you can't tell from this line drawing, the outlet mounts near the rear of the fuel tank on the right side, on one of the lightweight mounts that attaches the engine to the frame.

(It would be nicer if it was on the left side, since most electric vests attach from the left side, but you can't have everything).

Bob

·
30,523 Posts
Indeed..........

Here's a pic, from when I was removing my airbox. You can see the accessory socket in the upper right quadrant of the picture. As you can see, it is a simple installation - one single screw that goes into a clip which mounts to the engine brace (just above the carburettors). The wiring harness already has the connectors in it, you just plug them onto the accessory socket.

The kit comes with the screw and clip and everything, and also the instructions. It takes 10 minutes, which includes removing and then replacing the tank.

I got a powerlet to car style 12V adapter from ebay I believe - they are freely available from BMW dealers as others have said.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Might be stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway

G'day. I'm also thinking of mounting one of these to my '09 Thrux but not for power out, but power in. I've got a solar powered 12volt trickle charger that I think would maintain battery condition during storage (read: winter). Wondering if there is a chance it could affect ECU? Also is existing connection provided in wiring loom "hot" ie always active regardless of key in ignition etc?
Hey great forum, heaps of info!
Cheers
hurrypants

·
Registered
737 Posts
Ok where do you buy this accessory plug?

·
30,523 Posts
From your triumph dealer, or from one of our sponsors such as Triumph Performance USA or British Customs. I think they both carry OEM triumph stuff. TPUSA does because they are part of South Bay Triumph.

Whoops - did you mean the adapter plug?

This is one option, but do a search on "BMW accessory plug adapter"

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1264

You can find them on fleabay pretty easily.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just Curious.

I'm curious to know some of the different uses for this outlet? I'm sure there are many; I'd like to hear a few. Redbird said "I would install a switched outlet for heated clothing, IMHO." Is there a switched adapter you can plug into the outlet for heated clothing?

Bob

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
I'm curious to know some of the different uses for this outlet? I'm sure there are many; I'd like to hear a few. Redbird said "I would install a switched outlet for heated clothing, IMHO." Is there a switched adapter you can plug into the outlet for heated clothing?
Bob
I have one fitted to all my bikes for the purpose of battery charging the easy way. My charger is fitted with such a plug and it's easy to swap from bike to bike and keep their batteries charged without messing about dismantling panels and exposing batteries.

I've never seen a switched outlet of that type or even a switched plug. There are some with a built-in fuse but that's it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Today I bought the triumph "Optimate III" battery charger from my local dealership. I also picked up a male cigarrette lighter adapter to connect to the charger. What I would like to do is this:
Connect a female cigarrette lighter plug directly to the battery and hard mount it to my pannier bracket, beneath the bag where it would not be visible or subject to weather. I could then plug my charger in using the male adapter. I could also use it to charge my phone etc...
Is there any potential danger in attaching an outlet directly to the battery? I have seen in several posts that people usually use the blue taped wire under the gas tank for this connection. If the blue taped wire is a "hot, always on" wire what would be the difference between it and a direct battery connection? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Russ

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
The built in wiring for the Triumph accessory socket is fuse protected from fuse number 3.

It's not wise to connect anything directly to the battery. In your case fit an in-line fuse in series with your socket.

You can also get cigarette lighter sockets with built-in fuses, like this one:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Applications

Beemers riders run all sorts of things off of their plugs which are OEM on BMW bikes. Air compressor, GPS, heated vest, cell phone and radar detector are all accessories that I've run off of the accessory outlet. Todd

·
Registered
592 Posts
If your looking for things to plugin to that outlet. Spoild biker has some great stuff and very reasonable prices.

http://www.spoiledbiker.com/pwrltproducts.html

I bought a couple connectors from them, including the ipod charger. My first one popped, I sent them an e-mail and they sent me a new one at no charge with an envelope to send them back the old one.

I run a pigtail off the outlet with an SAE connecter (same as you'd have on a permanent mounted trickle charger), an extension cable to run into my tank bag, then a break out to connect my cell phone and iPod for longer rides when I may run out of charge on either device.

The iPod charger was a life saver on the way back home when my wife's iPod battery died. We swapped iPods since mine was full, and I charged hers while we continued on. Very good stuff.

·
Registered
363 Posts

Bob
The outlet doesn't need to be switched if the lead for the clothing is. Most vests / jacket liners have the switch &/or rheostat in the attached lead.

Another good use is for a battery charger. With one of the 'smart' chargers all you do is plug in come fall and unplug in the spring.

·
Registered
187 Posts
It looks to me that you could use any socket that fits the "T" shaped connector that is already installed on the bike, so you wouldn't be restricted to using Powerlet plugs or adapters. Is that right or am I missing something?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Convenience may be the only thing you are missing...well some may use the term "standard" as in many power hungry accessories tend to come with the John Deere type connectors. In short, to answer your question, simply, any DC connector should work just fine, IMHO.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts