Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an auxiliary power socket for my Tiger. Do you really need to remove the tank to get at the connector ?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Kind of "luck of the draw". Some are accessible without removing the tank and others not. Guess it depends on how it was routed at the time the bike was assembled. I had to remove my tank but know others have not.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Before you start to take the tank off, shine a light just below the left upper frame rail and you may find you can get to the plug. If I remember correctly it's secured with blue tape. If you can get at it you might get it out. Otherwise, remove the seat and the black trim panels on either side. Then remove the black trim panels between the upper and lower "fairing". The the color matched upper trim panels, the the 3 bolts that hold the tank. The fuel line fittings at the rear of the tank are quick disconnects.

Not technically difficult, just time consuming.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Tank removal is the first step in many maintenance tasks. IMHO, now is a good time to learn how to do it--not when you need to pull the spark plugs to clear a flooded engine.:D

Removing all the plastic panels and replacing them correctly is probably a harder job than removing the tank itself--especially if you burn most of the fuel out of the tank ahead of time...good excuse for a loong ride.

Also, if you do not have a Triumph service manual, now is the time and installation of the accessory socket is a good excuse/justification. The manual will pay for itself in no time, IMHO.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I did mine without removing the tank, but only just. I took off the seat and side trim panels and managed to see the blue tape holding the connector in place, looking from the right-hand side. I used a piece of wire to hook the tape and work it (carefully) loose. It was located under the rear part of the tank. Triumph appear to be quite consistent with using a bit of blue tape to secure unused connectors in place - my T100 was the same.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK so had a good gander with a torch and found a connector secured with blue insulating tape. Problem is, it's the wrong type of connector. At a guess, I've found the wrong one. Anyone recognise the photo ?
Ruscook, regarding mounting, the bike's already prepared to receive a Triumph aftermarket socket and there's instructions with it. There's 2 tapped holes blanked off with tiny rubber stoppers on the LHS. I've scanned the instructions (attached).

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Done it !!

OK job done. They don't make life easy for us do they !!
It was exactly as you said Dikman. Fiddly but got there in the end.
Thanks all for your help. Now I've just got to work out why my Sprint won't start !!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Even if you can get to the aux connector plug without taking the tank off what do you do about mounting the new socket.

Can someone post some pics of where the actual aux power socket is mounted?

Ta.
Russ
On the vertical bracket that attaches the engine to the frame stay there are to threaded holes plugged with small rubber plugs. Almost imperceptible unless you're looking for them.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
NOPE! That is an (unused, I hope) connector for a sensor that may not be used on your bike. The one you are looking for is up under the tank and should be taped to the wiring harness or something solid with BLUE tape, if my memory is correct.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Plug install

I initially installed the plug with the tank on the bike. It wasn't hard to do- although there wasn't much room to work. I didn't like how I secured the wires so I removed the tank to organize the wires etc. The tank is extremely easy to remove and if I had to do it again- would remove the tank for the ease of finding the correct plug and securing loose wires. My opinion... I welcome others.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I tried that one

Hi guys, I,m thinking about fitting an auxillary socket on my 09 Tiger...just want to find out if his is the right power cable before I start....

Thanks

I tried to use the plug shown. The correct plug was actually a bit higher up on the wire harness on my bike. No idea what that plug is for.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts